LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Huge Aquaria

Home Forums The Lounge Huge Aquaria

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  David Marshall 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

I’ve always dreamt of having my own “beast of a tank”. I was watching Grand Designs on TV last night and one of the properties was clearly perfect to have a humongous aquarium.

I was thinking.. huge (talking like 150ft square with 30ft depth) aquarium in the middle of the house, with bedrooms facing on to it and a walkway tunnel (like you see in public aquaria) right through the substrate which would give you a nice view of the bottom-dwellers.

Personally I would try my best to replicate an Amazon biotope.. 100-deep shoals of discus, thousands of tetras and small catfish etc, with accurately replicated lighting and rain (water change) patterns.

If money was no object, thinking big, what would you do?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Feb 15 2009, 11:30 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I’ve always dreamt of having my own “beast of a tank”. I was watching Grand Designs on TV last night and one of the properties was clearly perfect to have a humongous aquarium.

I was thinking.. huge (talking like 150ft square with 30ft depth) aquarium in the middle of the house, with bedrooms facing on to it and a walkway tunnel (like you see in public aquaria) right through the substrate which would give you a nice view of the bottom-dwellers.

Personally I would try my best to replicate an Amazon biotope.. 100-deep shoals of discus, thousands of tetras and small catfish etc, with accurately replicated lighting and rain (water change) patterns.

If money was no object, thinking big, what would you do? /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey dunc

If you cannot own your dream you can live it by planning a holiday that will allow for a visit to the Water Museum at Stockholm. They have created an Amazon biotope, complete with changing light levels and tropical storm, in which they have (or had) an amazing variety of catfish, large characins and Peruvian Mountain ducks. The brackish exhibit here is the best of its type I have seen.

Literally over the road are the Skansen (excuse spelling if wrong) Gardens and they have (had) wonderful exhibits of Australian reef fish along with their famous ‘walk through’ Lemur exhibits.

Strangely Sue and I were unable to locate either an aquarium or general large pet shop during our visit.

Regards David

mickthefish
    Participant

don’t know about a tank that big, but i would’nt mind a tank one of the lads has it’s 13’+x3’x2 1/2′ wide, he likes keeping big fish in there.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Give me that square kilometer Amazon biotope I reported on a few months back and I’d be a happy man!

dunc
    Keymaster

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Feb 16 2009, 10:56 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey dunc

If you cannot own your dream you can live it by planning a holiday that will allow for a visit to the Water Museum at Stockholm. They have created an Amazon biotope, complete with changing light levels and tropical storm, in which they have (or had) an amazing variety of catfish, large characins and Peruvian Mountain ducks. The brackish exhibit here is the best of its type I have seen.

Literally over the road are the Skansen (excuse spelling if wrong) Gardens and they have (had) wonderful exhibits of Australian reef fish along with their famous ‘walk through’ Lemur exhibits.

Strangely Sue and I were unable to locate either an aquarium or general large pet shop during our visit.

Regards David

That sounds awesome David. I actually have friends in Stockholm so that might be an option /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Dunc

Yes we fishkeepers never have enough tanks or enough tank space.

If you make it to Stockholm visit the Vassa Ship Museum . No fish here but a remarkable story.

Regards David

Reva
    Participant

Sounds like heaven Duncan. I like your idea. If money was no object (and neither was the husband..LOL) I would have a library room with big comfy chairs and corner bookcases. Each wall would have a 200 gallon tank with different parts of the world represented.

I would have, of course, in tank
    1. shoals of Australian Rainbows…Red New Guineas, Bosemani, and Turqoise as the featured fish , with cool catfish and plants for that part of the world.

The other tanks would be
    2. Amazon as you describe with hundreds instead of 10 or 20 in the schools of Tetras, and I would love black Angelfish as the big fish instead of Discus.
    3. Brackish with ruby and green scats, monos etc.
    4. Asian with catfish, botia schools and Gouramis

also, when I lived in Oregon, where the rivers have wild Sturgeons, the fish stores used to stock baby Sturgeons for aquarium pets. I used to want one really badly , but knew I would have to release it when it grew too big. *sigh* they look prehistoric

pass the Earl Grey and biscuits please….

Eyrie
    Participant

If money was no object I’d go for two huge biotope tanks.

First would be Sumatran and the second the Amazon (popular choice, it seems).

David Marshall
    Participant

What about a Congo biotope with shoals of characins and, of course, large group of Synodontis decorus

Regards David

Bluedave
    Participant

Three 8 foot tanks –
    1. Planted amazon set up with discus
    2. Malawi or Tanganyikan set up
    3. Reef

PLUS a big old pond in the garden based on the Japanese Garden they had in Nordpark, Dussledorf when I was a kid (I’m assuming it’s still there!)

Just waiting for that lottery win!

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Bluedave

Your posting brought back great memories of two visits made to the Lobeck (excuse if wrong spelling) Museum/Aquarium at the wonderful Nordpark. The best Discus display aquarium I have ever seen with companion Tetras spawning everywhere you looked.

Regards David

Bluedave
    Participant

Yep, great place the Lobbecke, not been there for a good 13 or 14 years now though.

I was very lucky living virtually opposite Nordpark, there wasn’t many days that i didn’t whizz through it on my push bike on the way to the rhine much to the dismay of the local german population (eat my dust Mr german – or words to that effect!), lol. Well, until some git with a mullet drove into me and sued my Dad for the damage to his car! pmsl.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Bluedave

17 years since my last visit.

Away from fish I love the apple cake they sell in the cafes at Dussledorf.

Regards David

Bluedave
    Participant

hehehe,

don’t start me off on german food and drink – could devote a whole thread to that!

There’s a German food shop on old street where we manage to stock up on all our favourite bits and fixes etc and Borough market sells Altbier, not just any altbier but Schlosser Alt – the king of altbier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.