LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Hybrids In The Hobby.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Hybrids In The Hobby.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Jarcave
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 28 2008, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    David are these hybrid Synodontis produced via actual spawning events or the use of hormones? I ask as you used the word “viable” in reference to the fry.

Also do you think that the vast majority of retailers/wholesalers either know or care that they are shifting hybrid fish? I have my doubts…

Matt

I have no doubts at all. They don’t care one bit what they sell, so long as they do sell. I saw a tank full of very large Syno’s at a local wholesalers 2 months ago. The tank was full of various adult specimens labelled up as “Assorted large Synodontis” and they were struggling to shift them at just £5.99 before bulk discounts!

Everyone wants the pretty hybrids………….

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Matt – my guess would be 100% hormone stimulation but this is a question only the breeders can answer.

Ethics apart the breeders claim that more viable fry survive from spawnings of two different Syno species than from spawning a ‘natural pair’. I don’t wish to push myself into hot water, or look as though I condone their activities, but if you remember the first batches of Featherfins which arrived into the U.K. many had twisted spines, deformed faces and a body shape far removed from those which were wild caught. I am no scholar of genetics but going on this perhaps a hybrid cross is somehow needed to mainatain a Syno. shape in h.s. produced fish? This is only my thoughts and based on no information received.

Jarcave – thanks my friend. I don’t have to answer this part of Matt’s question as you have seen first-hand what goes on.

Regards David

Jarcave
    Participant

Hi David

I’d really love to post how fish are “sold” to retailers. And about the motivational techniques employed to ensure high sales, but can’t as I’d probably have a libel case on my hands.

Matt
    Keymaster

Jared, provided you don’t name names you have nothing to worry about.

Author
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.