LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Identifying Fish

Home Forums My Aquarium Identifying Fish

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Ed91
    Participant

Hi there, I’m completely new to keeping fish, and I recently inherited a tank that was in an awful state, containing just the one fish. I was wondering if you guys could help me identify it so I know what kind of PH level/temperature it requites, and if it will play nicely with any other fish I may add to the tank.

Here he is..

Another (probably simple) question: is there any way to find/figure out the capacity of the tank?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ed

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

I’m by no means an expert on rainbowfishes and there are a lot of hybrids around but that looks like Melanotaenia boesemani to me.

Plaamoo
    Participant

That was my first guess^. Difficult to tell by the pic. I think I see a dark lateral stripe, also have a look at m. herbertaxelrodi. As MM said, lots of crosses out there.

Tank volume = LxWxH divided by 231 will get you close.

Colin
    Participant

Just to add to Plaamoo’s post about capacity…

LxWxH is in inches and then divided by 231 gives you the capacity in gallons (and i think that is US gallons which are smaller than UK gallons?

Also, you should normally take away about 10% because a tank is not filled to the very brim and there are usually rocks and gravel (displacement)

litres would be LxWxH in cm and then divide by 1000 (again subtract about 10%)

cheers
    C

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks Colin. I must remember that this is an international forum & I’m the minority.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

I still operate on the one cubic foot equals six gallons(ish) system

Matt
    Keymaster

There’s also a tank volume calculator in the ‘tools’ tab up there at the top of the screen.

Author
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.