LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Kribs..question

Home Forums My Aquarium Kribs..question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

Matt , I think you were right about the Kribensis eating my neons. There is no one else capable, and I am down to eight neons. None of the other tetras have disappeared, but they are all fast swimmers, like Rummy Nosed etc. or too big, like Black Phantoms. But half my neons are gone and no corpses, no one looking sick, and to top it all off, the three little corydoras catfish, that I bought to replace the large suspect syno, are all living on big leaves of plants, half way up the tank. This points to the Kribs. /ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” /> I havent seen it happen (which is why I suspected a nocturnal catfish in the first place)..

SOOOO…anyhow, the question I have for you guys who have worked with cichlids is this:
    If I put the Kribs in the underpopulated Parrot Cichlid tank, will they fight with the Parrot Cichlids (who are extremely tame and docile)?

My choices are : set up another tank, trade in the Kribs, trade in the Parrots, put the Kribs in the Rainbow tank or the Parrot tank (where the eggs will be eaten by the botia gang). All the tanks are 50gallonUS, except the neon tank , which is a 37gal

Matt
    Keymaster

If it was up to me I’d get shut of the parrots because I hate them but that’s personal taste. /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” /> Need others’ input here I’m afraid.

By the way it was David who first suggested the kribs were munching your tetras.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Reva

Red Parrots are not to everyones taste but are wonderful to keep and full of personality. Avoid any Parrots with black patches upon their bodies as these are from a more recent hybrid cross and, thus, a little more aggressive than those of pure red or orange.

See my article on Asian Parrot cichlids, articles section http://www.ryedaleaquaristsociety.co.uk

They should mix with your Kribensis without any problem. Kribensis guarding fry may attack Parrots fins but Parrots are very clever fish and will keep clear.

Regards David

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Feb 14 2009, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey Reva

Red Parrots are not to everyones taste but are wonderful to keep and full of personality. Avoid any Parrots with black patches upon their bodies as these are from a more recent hybrid cross and, thus, a little more aggressive than those of pure red or orange.

See my article on Asian Parrot cichlids, articles section http://www.ryedaleaquaristsociety.co.uk

They should mix with your Kribensis without any problem. Kribensis guarding fry may attack Parrots fins but Parrots are very clever fish and will keep clear.

Regards David

Thanks very much David! We have a variety store here that sells fish, much to my dismay, in the pet supply section of the store. While purchasing cat food and fish food there one day a couple of years ago, I saw two little orange Parrots, about the size of good sized olives, in a tank with very aggressive African cichlids. They were hiding behind the filter tube, and I felt sorry for them and bought them, and set up a 37gallon(US) tank for them. Now they are the size of peaches, and very tame. I put them in a 50gallon with some barbs and large rasboras for dither fish , and a pleco, three pictus cats and some botia. The tank is well planted, and if I put the Kribs in , then the botia will eat their eggs in the night. So you think it would work? I dont disagree with purists about that they shouldnt have been artificially created in the first place, but there they were, alive already and needing rescuing and now I am very fond of them /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Reva

Pleasure. Look forward to seeing your photographs.

Parrots can grow to well over 8″ with the ‘King Kong’ variant much larger in both size and body girth.

You have me worried when you say ‘brave enough to post’ as it would be a sad day if Matt and friends stopped us having ‘open fish talk’. Seriously I am, as Mick and Andy will testify, a ‘long time supporter of Asian Parrots’ and probably have the largest photographic collection of hybrid Synodontis of any ‘Syno. fanatic’ I know.

The great thing about the aquarium hobby is that there is so much room for so much diverse interest.

Regards David

mickthefish
    Participant

i ain’t saying nowt mate.
    you know mine and Andy’s stand on this bud, and probably a few million other fishkeepers.
    it gives the clowns open season to do what they like.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Feb 15 2009, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You have me worried when you say ‘brave enough to post’ as it would be a sad day if Matt and friends stopped us having ‘open fish talk’.

Absolutely. /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Mick

You should let poor Andy speak for himself. ha ha ha

Regards David

mickthefish
    Participant

Now David, do you really think i have to ask Andy what his opinion of this subject is mate.
    cos you know what the reply would be bud.
    this is my opinion though bud, get all your hybrids outta the tanks they’re in and see them of, then you can restock with genuine fish.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Mick

Well I am sure Andy would say ‘hybrids are okay as long as labelled as such’. ha ha ha

Regards David

Reva
    Participant

You are gentlemen all….but….
    See what I mean?

dunc
    Keymaster

I’m totally against hybridisation or any form of “man made” fish, but there’s no way we’d stop people talking about it. Naturally we’re entitled to our own opinions though so we’ll probably be strongly advising against it, especially to less experienced fishkeepers.

It’s always good to have a discussion though!

Reva
    Participant

thanks Duncan /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Let us know.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Reva

Parrots and Rainbows. Sounds a good mix?

Regards David

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.