LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Lentipes/Sicyopus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Lentipes/Sicyopus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Kajsa12 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kajsa12
    Participant

Does anybody know some obvious differences between these genera (Lentipes and Sicyopus)?

I have some Sicydiines for 9 months and I’m still not sure if they belong to Lentipes or Sicyopus.

Matt
    Keymaster

Don’t know if the key is still the most widely-accepted one but following Sakai and Nakamura (1979):

Lentipes: close-set tricuspid teeth covering anterior half of premaxillae, followed posteriorly by coarse-set conical teeth; dentaries with a row of conical teeth and a row of horizontal teeth on anterior half of outer margin; pelvic fin base longer than half pelvic fin length.

Sicyopus: both premaxillae and dentaries with a row of conical teeth; pelvic fin base as long as half pelvic fin length.

As far as I can tell no exhaustive morphological phylogeny of sicydiines has ever been conducted, though maybe Parenti and Thomas (1998), Pharyngeal Jaw Morphology and Homology in Sicydiine Gobies (Teleostei: Gobiidae) and Allies’ can be useful? I also have the OD of Sicyopus by Gill (1863) but not Lentipes (Günther, 1861).

Do you want the papers Henri?

Also if anyone has any of these it’d be much appreciated:

Günther, A. 1861. Catalogue of the fishes in the British Museum. Catalogue of the acanthopterygian fishes in the collection of the British Museum. 3. Gobiidae, Discoboli, Pediculati, Blenniidae, Labyrinthici, Mugilidae, Notacanthi.

Harrison IJ. 1993. The West African sicydiine fishes, with notes on the genus Lentipes (Teleostei: Gobiidae). Ichthyol Explor Fresh 4(3):201–232

Watson RE. 1995. Review of the freshwater goby genus Cotylopus (Pisces, Teleostei, Gobiidae, Sicydiinae). Ichthyol Expl Fresh 6(1):61–70

Watson RE. 1999. Two new subgenera of Sicyopus, with a redescription of Sicyopus zosterophorum (Teleostei: Gobioidei: Sicydiinae). Aqua J Ichthyol Aquat Biol 3:93–104

Plaamoo
    Participant

Looks like a trip to the dentist is in order Henri

Kajsa12
    Participant

Do you want the papers Henri?

Yes, please. /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.