LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Leptobotia Sp.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Leptobotia Sp.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Stan Sung very kindly sent us images of several Leptobotia spp. to use in the Knowledge Base including these amazingly-patterned ones he collected in China. Is it a form of L. taeniops or something else though?

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Very nice , look forward to seeing the pics Matt ,that top fish is a stunner !

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I would say taeniops is the most likely, one I notice in these two pics is something that I have noticed in my own Sinibotia, the caudal peduncle is a lot deeper in the fish in the second pic that that of the fish in the first pic.

I wonder if this is some sort of sexual difference and wonder if that has something to do with the colour/pattern difference as well.

Matt
    Keymaster

Here the ‘regular’ L. taeniops.

Andy, some profiles are already done. Click here.

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Ahh yes , wonderful /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” /> then they just disappeared , I guess dumbra , er Defra stepped in ?

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Mark Duffill @ Oct 11 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I would say taeniops is the most likely, one I notice in these two pics is something that I have noticed in my own Sinibotia, the caudal peduncle is a lot deeper in the fish in the second pic that that of the fish in the first pic.

I wonder if this is some sort of sexual difference and wonder if that has something to do with the colour/pattern difference as well.

Just looking at these again, the head profile is different too. It’d be odd to see this level of sexual dimorphism in a botiid though wouldn’t it?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I thought that to Matt but I think it looks different because of the coloration difference and the angle the photo is taken from, the lower fish without doubt a chunkier fish and I think that shows in the ridge at the top of the head.

Looking at the pic Stan Sung put on FB the other day I wouldnt be surprised if the 3 photos on this thread were 2 or 3 different species

fugupuff
    Participant

the first 2 fish are from Hangzhou Provincee, the last one was found in Sichuan province, about 1000 miles apart from each other.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Wes! Very interesting – was the reticulated form the only one found in Hangzhou?

fugupuff
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Nov 4 2010, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Wes! Very interesting – was the reticulated form the only one found in Hangzhou?

Hey Matt,

Actually no 2 are alike, they vary from a uniformed gray with some spots to primarily yellow with reticulated patterns. The bright yellow ones are harder to come by and yes, they’re all from Hangzhou.

The ones we collected in Scichuan were mostly gray with some purple coloration to them. I suppose they could be different species, but morphologically appear to be the same unless we take measurements for comparison.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.