LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Loach ID needed

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Loach ID needed

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Malti
    Participant

Matt
    Keymaster

I know Karlos. /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” />

Taken from Accelerated growth performance and stable germ-line transmission in androgenetically derived homozygous transgenic mud loach, Misgurnus mizolepis.
    Aquaculture, Volume 209, Issues 1-4, 28 June 2002, Pages 257-270
    Yoon Kwon Nam, Young Sun Cho, Hyo Jong Cho, Dong Soo Kim

Edit #2: Link to paper isn´t working without my ids so have replaced it with the abstract.

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

The worst part is I can only see this sort of thing happening more and more /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

now i get what oliv was saying on LOL, increased growth.
    and my question still is WHY.
    the stock answer is because they can, but to me it’s still a none fish.
    i know from lads in Singapore they find loads of aliens in one of their reservoirs both hybrids and large fish and invertebrates.

mick

Mark Duffill
    Participant

In one respect I can see why because these fish were initially produced as food fish which then takes away any dependency of wild stocks but once they are marketed as just weather loach and make it into the trade it has then been done for the wrong reasons.

Unfortunately its just a reflection of the current way of life, we can do it so why not make money from it

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah and check out the deformities in the middle fish…this apparently was an experiment that went wrong. In my opinion this is just another case of man messing with things he simply should not. We will pay for this somewhere down the line…

It really makes sense if you think about it that the hybrids have been exported for the pet trade. If growth is accelerated as in the pic above then it would surely optimise turnover/sales to trade these “fish”. Just thinking aloud…

What do you guys reckon about the two colour forms?

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 29 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What do you guys reckon about the two colour forms?

well that falls to the genetic colouring of the parent stock – M.Anguillacaudatus is kinda light so those fry which have more of its genetics maybe the lighter variety?

good thing atleast they ain’t fertile…

speaking of crossing species – would you think Colisa lalia (M) can mate with Betta Splendens (f)? got a fem in the same tank with a male, and don’t really want fry from them, and knowing me I’d keep them till they die, and really don’t have any place.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thing that´s confusing me about the fish I found is that they must be fertile as there were so many of them here. I doubt that Colisa and Betta could hybridise without the use of a laboratory Karlos, wouldn´t worry about it mate.

Malti
    Participant

well i have a small lab kit…coult try it out /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

back to the loaches…you found many, but no adults right? someone must have mass produced them and put them there…maybe for fishing purposes?

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Malti @ Aug 29 2008, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    maybe for fishing purposes?

Someone catches a 12″ weather loach they have a potential world record fish /angry.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:angry:” border=”0″ alt=”angry.gif” />

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Mad Duff @ Aug 29 2008, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Someone catches a 12″ weather loach they have a potential world record fish /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

I´m going to try shooting the park staff an email, see if they know about the origins of these loaches.

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 29 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I´m going to try shooting the park staff an email, see if they know about the origins of these loaches.

somehow the idea that one of the park staff is an enthusiast fisherman popped in my head…

do you think its possible to catch them and get them destroyed in something good like fish pie?

Author
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.