LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Lucania goodei

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Lucania goodei

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

OK…maybe this would be useful for the profile:

One of the oldest babies just sexed out. Plus/Minus day or two it was from the eggs collected on 1/29 and hatched on 2/5, so he is nearly exactly 2 months old. This is at 80F (which is probably the summer temperature for the species, this is when fry grows.) First sign was the first dorsal ray becoming black (3-4 days ago), today I can clearly see red in the anal fin (dorsal for now is still transparent).

Fairly aggressive fry btw, unlike the adults… lots of chasing esp. during feeding.

oaken
    Participant

Nice work. Regarding grindal worms they’re great to condition a lot of fish for breeding (as are white worms for bigger fish). With killies I find that you usually get a lot of eggs the day(s) after a big feeding with grindal worms/white worms.

mikev
    Participant

Thanks Oaken,

I’m going to experiment one species at a time… I have a few killies that produce but little and a couple of fundulopanchax species that I cannot get anything good from so far.

The only problem is that the fish takes quite a long time to recognize grindals as food… i think it was two weeks for lucania (and they took white worms right away)… aphanius (the next one to try) so far ignores them.

What about using grindals with cories?

oaken
    Participant

I must say I find it strange that you are having problems with your fish not recognising the grindal worms as food. Usually it’s taken eagerly by most fish for me (with very few exceptions). I guess if they’re not used to smaller foods it might take them longer to recognise it. 

Anyway, you might know this but a lot of killies will happily eat their own eggs, so it’s a good idea to check the mops a lot. If you still don’t get any eggs I would recommend seperating the female(s) and male(s) and then feed the female heavily for a couple of days up to a week and then put the male together with the female. Then you should get plenty of eggs. 

I would imagine Corydoras would love grindal worms as they sink to the bottom. It’s been a long time since I actually kept any Corydoras though and I have never actually tried feeding them grindal worms, but I can’t see why they wouldn’t love them.

mikev
    Participant

Slow recognition is strange indeed but true, and the chap I got the culture from says it is always the problem with him as well…no fish would take it right away. White or (live) bloodworms are instantly recognizable, grindals are not. My aphanius figured them out overnight .. they were checking the bottom non-stop today, and now intensely spawning. :D

As for other killie problems, let me experiment just a bit more and then perhaps ask for help…. I just don’t understand why I’m failing with these two groups when other fp/ap species were more or less smooth sailing.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.