LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Mbuna Stocking Level

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Mbuna Stocking Level

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

splodgedog

I am returning to the hobby after many years and have a RENA 48 inch bow front tank with an EHEIM 2229 wet/dry filter. I am setting it up for MBUNA and have plenty of rock in place with a sand substrate and the filter is running. Total water quantity on filling the tank amounted to 40 gallons. I would be grateful for any advice on stocking with regard to species and quantity. I would prefer to stick to larger amounts of say 3 or 4 species rather than a few specimens of many different species. Also species where the females are relatively colourful as well as the males. Thanks in advance for any help.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Issue 9 of The Aquarium Gazette has all the answers to your questons in a beginners guide to Malawi cichlids.

Further details are available from the website at http://www.theaquariumgazette.co.uk

Regards David

splodgedog

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Mar 28 2010, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey

Issue 9 of The Aquarium Gazette has all the answers to your questons in a beginners guide to Malawi cichlids.

Further details are available from the website at http://www.theaquariumgazette.co.uk

Regards David

Hi David
    Many thanks for your reply I will look at your suggestion. I have been picking the brains of a chap in my local Maidenhead Aquatics shop who has kept Malawis for many years and he is going to guide and advise me.
    Regards, Mick

mickthefish
    Participant

the only problem i can see is that Mbuna are buggers for crossing, so Mick with four different species your liable to have a hybrid or two happening mate.
    sorry to put a downer on your plans.
    i once saw a lads tank that only had males in and i gotta say it looked brilliant.

mick
    ps i have a mate that i would class as the most knowledgable malawi /tanganican cichlid in the UK, he’s bred fish that were thought to have not yet bred he once surprised Ad Konnings with a species that he’d bred 18 mths before anyone else, Ad thought they had’nt been bred yet.
    his name is Bob Barnes.

Matt
    Keymaster

I wish all the people you know were on this forum to be honest Mick.

mickthefish
    Participant

I’ve told him about the site Matt, but as far as i know he’s not in any forum.
    when you meet up with Pete ask him about Bob, he should coroborate what i’ve said about him.
    btw Pete drinks anything mate, he’s a lush.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Hahaha ok.

Author
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.