LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Microdevario kubotai

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Microdevario kubotai

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

unissuh

Bought a group of these quite a while ago for a display tank – pretty good at schooling a lot of the time.

Color ranges to a fluorescent green with blue iridescence.

First discovered they were breeding when I saw fry (specks just above the branch).

When they just hatch (~2 mm long) they stick to the glass for 3 days before coming free swimming.

More <1 week old fry. Need at least vinegar eel size food or smaller for the first 2-3 days of swimming to survive. After that they can take the smaller microworms.

Largest in this picture are ~1 week old.
    [img]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3558/1week.jpg/img]

Biggest about 3 weeks, should already be on BBS at this point.

Biggest about 6 weeks

By 10.5 weeks the fry were the same size as the adults…I added 5 that I’d raised to raise the #s in my shoal. Can’t tell which ones they were anymore.

Eventually got to the point where I was rearing hundreds of them (the “contaminants” are Pseudomugil gertrudae in the picture)…and gave up.

I do it in a more controlled approach than scooping out fry from the main tank now – just toss the adult shoal into the spawning/rearing tank for a few days then take ’em out again. Mine seem to spawn constantly. Have never seen or recognized the actual spawing or eggs though. Must be pretty small eggs.

oaken
    Participant

Nice, well done. Kept these a few years ago in a community tank and they’re a lovely fish.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting Garrett, love that last shot with loads of them.

unissuh

Yep, wouldn’t say they’re avid hunters but if they see them they’ll go for them. I don’t think it’s so much the eggs but the little fry that get eaten.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.