LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Mouth Of The Freshwater Crab

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Mouth Of The Freshwater Crab

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  johnpeten 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

johnpeten
    Participant

For lunch today we had cold poached Chilean Salmon. So the Crab and the Turtle also had a special lunch.
    Watching the crab attack the Salmon I was amazed by the complexity of its mouth.
    After the Turtle had eaten its fill it behaved very strangely. It rushed around the tank only stopping to put its head out of the water to take a quick look around. It was obviously delighted with the food or had a tummy ache.

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

What species is it John?

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 5 2010, 03:10 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What species is it John?

Matt, I would not touch the identification of freshwater crabs with a barge pole.
    There are supposed to be 13 species in this area divided amongst 7 genera.
    Some of the differences depends on the shape and dimensions of the gonopod.

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (johnpeten @ Apr 3 2010, 06:31 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    After the Turtle had eaten its fill it behaved very strangely. It rushed around the tank only stopping to put its head out of the water to take a quick look around. It was obviously delighted with the food or had a tummy ache.

I think this kind of behaviour equates to “I’ve been in one place for too long while eating, there might be a predator about, so I’ll put some space between me and my last position”.

johnpeten
    Participant

QUOTE (coelacanth @ Apr 6 2010, 09:46 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think this kind of behaviour equates to “I’ve been in one place for too long while eating, there might be a predator about, so I’ll put some space between me and my last position”.

That is a very reasonable and logical explanation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.