LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

My new 20 gallon – starting off!

Home Forums My Aquarium My new 20 gallon – starting off!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

dexsting
    Participant

Hi all,

Getting started, and have decided to run with a 20 gallon (23.75″ x 12.62″ x 19.75″) aquarium.  Am thinking of doing 2 Pygmy (Sparkling) Gourami, 6 Kuhlii Loaches, and 6 X-ray Tetras.  Possibly once the aquarium is established adding 1 GBR.  Probably do black sand as the substrate and have some live plants like Windelov, Green Crypt, and Weeping Moss on some driftwood and probably a moss ball or 2.  What do you think?  oh, my water from the tap is about  7.38-7.79 ph based on my city reports and hardness 97 to 116 ppm or 5.4 to 6.5 dH if I’m reading it right.

I also want to add some snails and/or shrimps to help containe algae and keep it clean; any suggestions based on my community?  I know some will get eaten most likely, but I also know snails/shrimp can reproduce well too…

Final thing, I got this tank, https://www.aqueon.com/products/aquarium-starter-kits/ascent-frameless-led-kits (the 20 gallon).  It has a black back; will that help prevent algae bloom?  I’m trying to decide where to put it and by an east window would be nice; there’s a building that blocks morning sun, but it does shine through for an hour or so in the late morning.

Any help/suggestions/critism is most welcome.  Thanks!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by dexsting.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by dexsting.

FishGoy
    Participant

An hour of indirect sunlight won’t set off an algae bloom, but it’s something to be aware of if such a problem does arise. Maybe throw the tank on a wheeled surface so you can reposition it if needed.

I don’t notice a difference in algae growth from my black-backed (and sides) tanks. I wouldn’t worry about algae too much in a brand new tank. Make adjustments as needed as you progress. Remember to spend some quality time viewing and enjoying your tank each day, and algae will never sneak up on you.

-Fish Goy

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by FishGoy.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.