LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Mystery Nannostomus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Mystery Nannostomus

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

I was going to add this pic to the knowledge base as Nannostomus beckfordi but looking at it again I’m not so sure. Am I having a blonde moment or not?

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Thats a nice one Matt

Here it is over at Aquaticquotient N.beckfordi

mickthefish
    Participant

every thing fits for a beckfordi exceptthe red stripe and the red top eye.
    possibly a location caught or if farmbred a slight mutation.

mick

Mark Duffill
    Participant

If I remeber rightly Nannostomus nitidus has a slight orange stripe above the black stripe but I dont think it is as pronuonced as that.

mickthefish
    Participant

Bolton mu has a shoal of nitidus and i’m sure that isn’t the same fish.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Yup that’s it Mark Chor Kiat Yeo who took the pic has kindly donated a whole series of different species for us.

ulster exile

Mine are like that too though… I wasn’t focusing on the pencilfish, but you can clearly see the red over the eye

Again, not a great pic, but you can see the glint of the red in the eyes of those behind the main character here.

The one thing I will say about these is that the red strip above the black easily disappears if the fish are stressed. I only notice it coming out (like the thickness of the black stripe) when they are in tip top condition.

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve kept what I bought as N. beckfordi and they never had such a defined red line as in CK or Chrissy’s pics even when in super-display mode. So back to (guru) Mick’s original points then.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I would say locality variant as I think if they were mutant or farm bred their markings/colours would be weakened.

ulster exile

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 17 2009, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Chrissy any idea if the shop you bought them from stock wild fish?

Sorry Matt, I’ve no idea!

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (Mad Duff @ Feb 17 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I would say locality variant as I think if they were mutant or farm bred their markings/colours would be weakened.

I was thinking the same; their markings are really well-defined. *strokes chin* Grr we need more smilies!

Byron Hosking
    Participant

I would think this is a form of N. beckfordi. I have a photo in a late 1990’s Aqualog update that is very close to your fish, and it is labelled as N. aripirangensis [Meinken 1931] a probable synonym for N. beckfordi. Gery [1977] says that N. aripirangensis may be a sibling species or subspecies of N. beckfordi. Weitzman & Cobb did a revision of the Nannostomini in 1975 that I have never come across; if anyone has access to it, it might have more information.

I have a small shoal of N. beckfordi and there is no indication of a red line on the females but there is on the males, although the brown above the black lateral stripe is so dark the red is quite difficult to see on a couple of them.

Byron.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.