LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Fishes Named after U.S. Leaders, Three in Tennessee

Home Forums Ichthyology New Fishes Named after U.S. Leaders, Three in Tennessee

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Amazonas 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Erich
    Participant

Stefan

Would like to have a copy very much!

Matt
    Keymaster

Me too, although the specific names don’t really appeal…E. jimmycarter???¬†ūüė°

Stefan

Has anyone had any luck in obtaining this paper? I have not, unfortunately.

coelacanth
    Participant

While I’m always happy to¬†think of¬†rightwingers in any country¬†enduring some butthurt, I¬†do find this needlessly provocative (given where these fish are found). I’m sure there are people entrenched enough in their redneckery to deliberately damage the habitats of these species just because of these names.¬†¬†

There isn’t a politician on earth deserving of this form of immortality.

Stefan

Has this one been unearthed yet, by any chance? :)

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

I’m not a fan of honorifics in general but is there a reason why the specific names aren’t latinised?

Chromaphyo
    Participant

I don’t know but I think the ICZN rules are not followed

Stefan

Personally I am more interested in the systematics of the genus rather than in the naming.

Martin G.
    Participant

Hi,

it is not necessary to latinise nouns while using them as species names. The name is a free decision of the describer. Who asked for this when Hypancistus zebra or Pyrrhulina zigzag were named?

Martin

Amazonas
    Participant

Dear all, dear Martin,
    there is a difference between ‘zebra’ and ‘zigzag’ and species names which based on names of a person. Article 31.1 of the Code explains how names based on names of persons must (!) be formed. See Article 31.1.1. ”A species-group name, if a noun in the genitive case formed from a personal name that is Latin, or from a modern personal name that is or has been latinized, is to be formed in accordance with the rules of Latin grammar.” Hence, a name after a person need to follow Latin grammar. See also pages 8-12 in Kottelat’s ‘Conspectus cobitidum’ http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/rbz/biblio/s26/Conspectus_cobitidum.pdf for further discussion. However, we need to read the particular publication by Layman & Mayden to decide whether the names of the Darters need to be changed or not.
    Cheers, Amazonas

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.