LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Pangio Tank

Home Forums My Aquarium New Pangio Tank

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Thomas
    Participant

So, the next try with the same fishes five posts above. Yesterday I started a new try to breed Pangio malayana. The setup is inspired by the Akysis breeding tank from FKS shown here: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/forums/freshwater-and-brackish-water-fishes/breeding-akysis-maculipinnis/

The plastic tank

http://sandkauer.de/Foren/P_malay.jpg

One of the females with yellow eggs inside.

Now I have two gravid female and one male in the small tank (another male is in the main tank) and much time…

Cheers,

Thomas

btw: Frank is right, the software is hell. I’m not able to get the text under the pic. I can add more and more blank lines but the editor takes them away 😡

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah I know Thomas. It’s top of the priority list for things to fix over the holidays. :)

That set-up would suggest that the fish rise up into the water to spawn, like the Akysis?

Thomas
    Participant

I could imagine. Not for sure but I think I haven’t heard about striped pangios spawning in the substrat. I know it more from the “black” Pangios. But in this tank they can do both.

Matt
    Keymaster

Do records of captive breeding exist then? The only ones I’ve seen have been somewhat anecdotal and without photos.

coelacanth
    Participant

We have a small group where they get absolutely huge, then “deflate” suddenly, getting nice and slim for a while and then this repeats. Sadly, all the individuals show this, which leads us to believe we’ve just happened to end up with all females! They go daft after a water change and then within a day or two they’ll be looking skinny.

Thomas
    Participant

@Matt said:
    Do records of captive breeding exist then? The only ones I’ve seen have been somewhat anecdotal and without photos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcQdazLqBvg

In the German Magazine DATZ appeared an article about the Pangio of the youtube link. And I’ve heard from (a few) others that their striped Pangio spawns like in the video. Till now I(!) never heard about this spawning behaviour from black pangios.

In germany we have sometimes Pangio war: Substrate spawning against free spawning. I could imagine, the parties must take care more which pangios they have.

But, its not a fact, it’s only an idea that I have.

Matt
    Keymaster

@coelacanth said:
    We have a small group where they get absolutely huge, then “deflate” suddenly, getting nice and slim for a while and then this repeats. Sadly, all the individuals show this, which leads us to believe we’ve just happened to end up with all females! They go daft after a water change and then within a day or two they’ll be looking skinny.

Ever looked for eggs?

Thomas, I will look at the video tonight – no You Tube at work. :(

coelacanth
    Participant

Never bothered because there doesn’t appear to be any males. The tank is heavily planted and decorated, with lots of shrimp and some Parosphomenus, so I imagine any eggs are quickly mopped up.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.