LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New set-up

Home Forums My Aquarium New set-up

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  coelacanth 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Rachel
    Participant

Hi there, I’m starting a new tank soon (60 x 30 x 30) and am just trying to decide how to stock it at the moment.

My first choice is to have a small group of Peacock gobies but am unsure of tank mates…I was thinking maybe 1 male and 3 females plus some small danios or tetras and a small plec. Is this a good idea? as I’ve read lots of conflicting information on whether the gobies fin nip or not :/

Before that, I really wanted to have another group of Rhinogobius but it is almost impossible to find them let alone finding good quality specimens in the UK, plus the fact that hardly anyone wants to deliver to the Isle of Wight! :(

Thanks,

Rachel

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Rachel, is no-one breeding rhinos in the UK?

Not well-placed to answer the rest as have never kept the fish in question.

Rachel
    Participant

Hi Matt, 

I’m not really sure about whether anyone is breeding them over here as I’m not really part of any other sort of fish keeping community but I would like to find out! I have a group of mixed Rhinos as the only place I could find them weren’t able to identify them before sending them out to me, but it turned out well in the end.

And thankyou anyway, the peacock gobies don’t seem the commonest fish to keep!

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool, the ones pictured in your avatar?

Rachel
    Participant

Yes! I had a hard time identifying them so Jutta helped and it turns out I have two or possibly more different species, but definitely one male R.duospilus and two male R.xianshuiensis (those are the ones in my avatar – they’re father and son I believe, super cute!) plus five females. Unfortunately I had to move them all into my dad’s community tank as there was too much aggression in my small nano, but they’re so much happier in there even with the other fish, had a small problem with the females attacking our long-finned zebra danios (couldn’t resist their tails we think) but we rehomed them and bought some Glowlight danios instead and they don’t touch them as they’re feisty themselves which is brilliant! 

I did think of moving them back when I get my new tank but because they’re so settled and happy in the bigger tank, I worry that it would be too stressful for them…also catching them is a complete nightmare in itself! 

Do you know anything about a South American goby, Awaous flavus? Because I might have a chance of getting them instead but as I have no idea what their behaviour is like, I’m not sure whether I should risk it.

coelacanth
    Participant

Awaous flavus are peaceful, attractive fish (there’s intraspecfic aggression between males which mostly consists of open-mouth displays), but they are virtually unbreedable.

Rachel
    Participant

@coelacanth said:
    Awaous flavus are peaceful, attractive fish (there’s intraspecfic aggression between males which mostly consists of open-mouth displays), but they are virtually unbreedable.

Thankyou for that information. I’m not sure how many I could keep in a 60L tank? A small group of three?

coelacanth
    Participant

One male, two females I’d say, they like floor space.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.