LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Sewellia?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes New Sewellia?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Thanks Charles,

it is easier for you — i have only 3 and two of them (females) arrived recently.

A couple of trailing questions to compare:

In my case the male is considerably larger too (all of the fish originated from the same shipment 3 years ago, but the females were owned by someone else till now…so they are all fully grown).  Is this the case on your end?

In my case the light area in the base of the side fin is reflective for the male (and I’ve had another male with equally reflective area) but not for either of the females. Is this the case on your end?

Comparing Sew04 to other Sewellias I keep/kept it seems to be more similar to S.elongata than to other species (obviously it is not S.elongata but perhaps a close relative.).

And a trailing remark:

I think the profile will benefit from photos that show the sexes, perhaps with arrows pointing to the characteristics?

And of course the breeding information in the profile needs to be clarified as to remove the impression that the species was actually bred or that it is known how to breed it… in fact, insertion of “This species has not been bred in aquaria, but possibly can be bred like other Sewellia species, namely <<>>” will accomplish just this.

Matt
    Keymaster

If anyone can doctor a photo or two to highlight the differences that would be great. I’ve no idea how to do that.

Will add a line to the reproduction section now.

torso
    Participant

Is that doctored enough, Matt?

I hope the differences are more clear now, mikev. You may be right about the reflective zone. have to check it for the other species.

Female underside, 2 pics of a male, female body, two pics of a male.

Cheers Charles

sewellia-sp-sew-04-female-head-DSC_3692.jpgsewellia-sp-sew-04-male-CSC_2281.jpgsewellia-sp-sew-04-male-head-CSC_2281.jpgsewellia-sp-sew-04-female-body-DSC_3021.jpgsewellia-sp-sew-04-male-head-DSC_6490.jpgsewellia-sp-sew-04-male-marking-DSC_2837.jpg

mikev
    Participant

Sorry for disappearing from this… there was a reason…  Plaamoo, Sewellia is also available from Frank, it is not the same import exactly (Frank’s is “Sewellia breverntralis” implying another exporter). Frank’s price is better, you may want to talk to him.

Before I say anything else I wanted to look at just what this is… need a bit more time to digest. Looks like an unholy mix, some Sew02/03, some Sew04, one that seems like a stray lineolata (or something similar to it), and some chances of Sew05 too… I’m confused atm. 😳

Interestingly, every time I ask a vendor “Are they all the same species?” I get a yes, and later learn it is not the case… Anthony said all his Sewellia’s are the same too,… too bad I cannot go to Portland to look…. 🙁 for all we know he may have ten new species there…

As for the “Homoloptera”: any opinions on whether it is an Annamia or perhaps a Vanmanenia? … I wish I could see the tail…..

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’ll just have to live vicariously through you for the time being. No room! I get excited when I see something new and start dreaming but the reality is…. NO ROOM!

mikev
    Participant

Don’t I know 🙁

He had a bunch of other interesting fish I’d not mind trying one day too… some african gobies (kribia) and another analogue of homalopteras (belonoglanis)… Neolebias ansorgii (if he got the id right — it did not look at all like the SF profile) was another tempting thing.

Hopeless atm…. I’ll have to get rid of rainbows, otherwise no space for anything interesting :(, only windows shopping trips…

mikev
    Participant

OK… scrap what I said about Sew05…. the fish looked mighty strange initially, with Sew04 fins totally lucking color, I could not make sense of it 😳 Too bad I did not take photos…. this was something to see…

Today they look more sensible, it seems I got three Sew0203, one lineolata (?! — never mind but I do wonder where did this come from), and the rest Sew04 … this puts the idea of Sew04 being contaminant in Sew0203 shipments on its head, here it is a reverse.

=====

Charles, what I meant about atypical Sew0203 behavior was about their preference to be at the very top. In my tank they tend to sit on top of the filter, this is always 1″ or less of water and toward the w/c time, it is not enough water for the fish to fit! Half of their bodies stick out but this is how they like it.  And I was able to count new fish today because Sew0203 are stuck on top, while Sew04 are on the bottom like a normal bottom fish…

Plaamoo
    Participant

As far as contaminants go Mike, they could all end up in Singapore or Bangkok from different catchments and be put together there before being shipped. Just because they arrive in the US together doesn’t mean they were caught together.

mikev
    Participant

The pattern of Sew0203 mixed with Sew04 has been consistent over three years so most likely they are indeed caught together.

(cf. lh.disparis always cross-contaminate with rhinos).

as for lineolata, yes, most likely what you suggest.  Could have been Frank’s doing too.. he has lineolatas in stock most of the time.

mikev
    Participant

hmm… I’m getting more confused now…. I’ve been looking toward Sew04 and S.elongata (well, the fish that is occasionally sold as S.elongata in the US and may have nothing to do with Kampol’s!).

in particular, I think my s.elongata is different from yours… and yours in fact may be Sew04. Look at photos 8 and 9 in  s.elongata profile here carefully and compare with Sew04, also compare photo 7 vs 9. if anything, 9 is more reticulated  pattern but 7 is allegedly an adult while 9 is a juvenile… not likely …  and now the backs of my fish resemble 7 somewhat so possibly  are s.elongata, and possibly are not….

I’ll try to take a photo here and upload it later for collection.

Matt
    Keymaster

Which fish is sold as S. elongata in the U.S. and what is ‘your’ S. elongata Mike?

mikev
    Participant

@Matt
    said:
    Which fish is sold as S. elongata in the U.S. and what is ‘your’ S. elongata Mike?

Until yesterday I thought ‘our’ S.elongata was Kampol’s… i don’t know what to think anymore. 😥 it may be that mine and plaamoo’s are both something else… The only good news is that all “elongata” I have are the same species.

OK.. I’ll need to find and/or take more shots, but here is one

http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/sew-el1.jpg

this is a 2″ fish, not a juvenile. no orange in the fins.

mikev
    Participant

OK, maybe I do have the right shot. This was taken last week when I moved them to new 20l rivertank. and compare the top views with the sf profile photos

http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/sew-el2.jpg

Notice that Kampol’s fish has lare solid areas on the back; so does mine. The other two do not. This is not to imply that my fish is Kampol’s elongata, but it is imo an evidence that the fish from Plaamoo as well as the fish from the other contributor are not Kampol’s elongata!

We may actually see 4 species here….

torso
    Participant

S. elongata, mikev

cheers Charles

mikev
    Participant

Huh?

are you saying that mine are s.elongata? — this is not impossible. Still, note the absence of color in fins — given that my fish are 2″ and not juveniles, this would likely imply that some locales of s.elonata have orange, some don’t… not unusual, but then let’s make sure that orange in fins is not seen as a characteristics of s.elongata.

are you saying that all the photos in the s.elongata profile are one species? — now, look at this one:

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Sewellia-elongata-010-Jim.jpg

no large spots on top… light areas in the base of the paired fins… consistent with Sew04 I think…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.