LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Sewellia?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes New Sewellia?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author

torso
    Participant

Not S. sew04, mikev. The patterns are completely different. The head-form of S. swe04 is typical and reminds a bit S. lineolata but not other species in question. As all species are in my tanks side by side I would say I can judge that.

S. elongata shows different patterns untill they change to the adult patterning with 5-6 cm. The definitve size is more than 10 cm. No specimen of this size have been in trade. So they are semi-adult now. The colouring comes with a lenght of about 8 cm.

No adults have ever been in the trade. That`s not coincidence, because adults have been captured and documented since springtime 2010. In my opinion there are two posssibilities: either adults are hard to catch or the distributor doesn`t want them to be bred as long as possible. The fact, that there is only one exporter – with other species from Laos – to offer this species makes me believe that the second guess is right. And: it`s a long time since the mix of S 02-04 has been on the lists of Singapore exporters. To be more precise: since 2010. Coincidence?

Another point regarding S. sew 02/03: I have the cornfirmation of the first breeder of S. sew03 (we bred them at the same time with identic weather sonditions; he presented pics on loaches.com just when I took the first pics) near by, that he has difficulties to differ them from S. sew02 too. So in August we may meet and exchange some infos and pics to clarify the situation. The pics I have seen of his species – spread now in Switzerland – puzzled me a bit. May be we can make out the differences in body shape.

Cheers Charles

mikev
    Participant

The patterns is also different from other s.elongata photos.

They don`t come in via Singapore, so no mixture with other species is possible. And: it`s a long time since the mix of S 02-04 has been on the lists of singapore exporters. To be more precise: since 2010. Coincidence?

S.elongata I picked up in dec of 2011 is definitely from Singapore (I actually ordered from a Sg availabilty list); the mix I picked up on Sat is almost certainly from Singapore too, so there is no conspiracy involved (or the nature of conspiracy is different).  Given the discrepancy in trade names, there is more than one exporter of S0203/S04. And most certainly any exporter in any country is capable of mixing species.

Not sure I understand this correctly: are you saying that the other breeder (gotta be Farid) does not see two species (S02 and S03) either?

mikev
    Participant

OK…here is an illustration of the unusual behavior of Sew0203:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08wihMz8YTo&feature=youtu.be

During the water change yesterday the water level had been lowered so that the fish had to leave their preferred top spot. Now, he water level is being slowly raised.. you can see how impatient they are to return. No other Sewellia is so intense on being so close to the water surface all the time.

This happens every time .. the counterpart is their behavior when the water is lowered, I often have to shake them down if they refuse to leave… 😀

Plaamoo
    Participant

I’d guess they like whatever is growing on top of that filter, closer to the lights. What is that filter/powerhead?

I’m not getting involved in the ID debate 😀

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bigsky_photos/DSC_4397_01.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bigsky_photos/DSC_4379.jpg

A couple of my elongata. About 2.5 in

mikev
    Participant

@plaamoo said:
    I’d guess they like whatever is growing on top of that filter, closer to the lights. What is that filter/powerhead?

No. If I were to remove the filter, they will find some other top location, worst case scenario is simply sticking to he glass near the water lever. Other fish indeed would graze as you suggest, Stirusomas do this, but these Sewellias really prefer to be on top most of the time they only come down for food. Other sp. Sewellias in this tank are not particularly interested in this place.

The filter  is simply a Tanner’s cube connected to a 402 via a manifold.

torso
    Participant

As you can see I did edit the post just after adding it, mikev. In order to prevent discussions on names/persons involved. As you have posted that phrase about Singapore: no further comments from my side.

No, it’s not Farid. He is not active any more.

A guess about the special behaviour of S. sew20/03: it depends on the oxygen and the opportunity of course. My outlet of the powerhead with joint aeration is about 10 cm over bottom. They don’t tend to the water surface save when foood is floating. About the preferred place: in about 20 tanks all hillstream loaches prefer the large (20-30cm) bolders with no or slight inclination. Dominant specimen try to defend it, but it can be a place of encounter also.

Cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

Jim, are your fish 2.5″ SL or TL?

Plaamoo
    Participant

@Matt said:
    Jim, are your fish 2.5″ SL or TL?

I always think TL Matt. My six range from 2.25″-2.5″ TL. Some, I’m assuming females, have more bulk.

mikev
    Participant

@torso said:

A guess about the special behaviour of S. sew20/03: it depends on the oxygen and the opportunity of course. My outlet of the powerhead with joint aeration is about 10 cm over bottom. They don’t tend to the water surface save when foood is floating. About the preferred place: in about 20 tanks all hillstream loaches prefer the large (20-30cm) bolders with no or slight inclination. Dominant specimen try to defend it, but it can be a place of encounter also.

I think oxygen has something to do with it, but there is also a build-in preference to high places (it may be that they search O2-rich places by searching high ground too).  In the same tank there is a large piece of driftwood with powerhead running over it: this is well liked by other sewellias but not S0203… good current there, but not high enough? The preference to the high places shows differently in different places… of the three new ones in the qtank, one (smaller) hangs to the glass near water line, but two large ones are fighting over the top of the filter (ATI sponge). S04’s otoh are in the bottom, or on the stones near the bottom, or on the glass near the bottom….

There may be something to S0203 being more sensitive to O2 deprivation than other species… some miscellaneous observations by me and others seem to point this way.

mikev
    Participant

Jim,

your photos no longer show up… they did yesterday, and I was going to commend on how nice the fish looks like, but they are gone now.

ok, I’m taking back what I said about s.elongata; one of mine lacks large spots too, and I think I saw orange…

Matt
    Keymaster

Is it possible the fish are displaying a preference for shallow water rather than being high up in the water column?

mikev
    Participant

Why not? — but I don’t see how we can know without seeing the habitat… now, this would be indeed interesting tp!

Here is what I meant by seeing yellow:

http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/selongata-yellow.jpg

The fish is small, 1.5-1.75″ TL.

mikev
    Participant

Not sure what this means but this fry (actually two were seen) appeared in the tank with S0203/S04. http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/sandwichfry.jpg
    most likely, lineolatas (I have some in the same tank too 🙁 ).

mikev
    Participant

Plaamoo,

notice a change in the Wetspot’s sewellia listing, plus two more species added: cobitis that looks differently from previous (I think… perhaps not Taiwan?) and Thai Barbucca ?!

Plaamoo
    Participant

Maybe Anthony has been reading this thread?:smile:

Just had a look at the cobitis, nice! Seeing “Thai Barbucca” is a little concerning. In talking with Nonn in the past I know it is one fish that he’s sought and not been able to find in any numbers. I just messaged him and he reports that they are regularly available at Chatuchak lately and supposedly somebody is breeding them. That’s good news. It’s nice to see new species but I think some fish are better left out of the trade.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.