LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

New Tank Setup

Home Forums My Aquarium New Tank Setup

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Headdy 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Bigbadbaz
    Participant

From what I have read on various forums and sites, hatchets are better in shoals of 6 or more, any less and they tend to die. I have five and they are thriving, (one got too close to the filter I think and could not fight the suction) Am waiting for my LFS to get me some more..

Matt
    Keymaster

Great choices!

Headdy
    Participant

It’s a tough choice between them both, having seen them in action. I’ll have to make a snap decision when the time comes.

In the meantime I’m thinking about lighting. The tank has a daylight bulb for the plants; is there anything that would help bring out the fishes’ colours?

Headdy
    Participant

In the end it was an impossible decision to make. I took my chances and got a mix: three silver hatchets – which were a lot bigger than I’d expected! – and five rainbowfish. One of the rainbowfish has gone, at the hands of dragonfly nymph scum.

The strange thing is that the hatchets and the rainbowfish schooled together, for whatever reason.

mickthefish
    Participant

nice one, it’s good to see btwo vastly different species interact with each other.
    are the rainbows praecox?, or did you go for pseudomoguls.

mick

Headdy
    Participant

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Oct 30 2008, 10:04 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    are the rainbows praecox?, or did you go for pseudomoguls.

mick

I went for Melonataenia praecox (dwarf neons). I think another one’s going to go, though, as it has a nasty white patch where its top fin is.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.