LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Paedocypris

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author

pablito
    Participant

QUOTE (Haji Badaruddin @ Dec 9 2008, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Oaken,

Thanks ….. i got them together with the sundadanio axelrodi.

Matt,

Collected around a few 100s of those a few weeks ago and only a handful died during transportation.So far so good …… no prob yet.

Haji
    you are a privileged, lucky rascal to live where so many fascinating fishes can be found!

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Ha ha ha I will be more privilege and lucky once i got betta compuncta and gladiator.

Humunuku
    Participant

I’m picking up this thread since I received some shipped from Singapore today,
    I’m often suspicious when it comes to “if the name on the exporters list matches the species delivered”. It says Ruby Rasbora ( Paedocypris progenetica), and I really hope it is.

The “sales picture” that my LFS got from her importer, who again got it from their exporter in Singapore looks identical to the fish in the image Haji posted in this thread dec 3 2008.

Now I could use som hints on keeping them.
    Their biotope is described as peat swamps with acidic water as low as Is this in extreme situations or is this the what the water should be to keep them.

The shipping water is pH 6.28 KH <1 GH<3.
    I’m uncertain if I should continue to keep them at these levels or if I should make their lives sour.

Colin
    Participant

Hi, I also ordered some but unfortunately they all arrived dead! What a shame but I hope you have better luck than I with them!

How many did you get?

My tank for them was set at pH 5.5 with some oak leaves and KH of 1

keith565
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Feb 3 2011, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi, I also ordered some but unfortunately they all arrived dead! What a shame but I hope you have better luck than I with them!

How many did you get?

My tank for them was set at pH 5.5 with some oak leaves and KH of 1

that’s a real shame Colin. hope you get more

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

if it comes from a responsible exporter,i would follow the water pH thats in the bag with the fish … Having got them alive … you could lower the pH gradually …

Biotope of paedocypris similar to P. allani and B. brownorum …

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

I remember reading somewhere that there actually is a fish (a marine one) that reach a smaller adult size. Paedoecypris is still considered the world smallest vertebrate, since it reach sexual maturity at a smaller size than the marine one.

Humunuku
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Feb 3 2011, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    How many did you get?

I thought I should wait a few days before I concluded.
    I got 25. They where all alive when I picked them up, but started to fade the verry first evening. Since sunday there’s five left, but these seem to have setled and takes newly hatched artemia, microworm and vineager eal.
    The next weeks will show.

I talked to Johnny Jensen, danish photograper, who talked about a shipment of a thousand specimens where only one fish had survived. So loosing some does not come as a surpise.

Does anyone have information regarding the japanese or other sucsesfull spawings?

hachge
    Participant

In Paris France Olivier Perrin caught this fish more than 10 years ago and since is breeding them.I have movie and pics from him but I’m not allowed to share them,some of his pics and description of the breeding way was in the Kottelat description.He told me he lost many fish when breeding them with BBs so now he is using only microworms and vinegar eels.It seems that the fish dies if kept at temperature above 28/30 more than a few days.
    I gave a try for a few months and lost the fish in summer 2006 when it was so hot in France.
    Since I gave up that fish too complicated .

Matt
    Keymaster

It doesn’t altogether surprise me that these don’t do well with Artemia when you consider their natural environment is more-or-less deficient in dissolved minerals/salts. I’ve read somewhere that the fry of some blackwater Betta species also develop problems if fed solely on Artemia.

Does anyone know more about this?

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 8 2011, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It doesn’t altogether surprise me that these don’t do well with Artemia when you consider their natural environment is more-or-less deficient in dissolved minerals/salts. I’ve read somewhere that the fry of some blackwater Betta species also develop problems if fed solely on Artemia.

Does anyone know more about this?

I have read about this too Matt … So far i fed all my fry with freshly prepared 1 day old artemia … no problem … I suspected the problem is with the preparation ie the egg shell must be properly remove before feeding.Also the artemia nauplii need to rinse off with freshwater.

Colin
    Participant

I have now had a shoal of 15 for a couple of weeks and they are doing well. pH about 5.5 and quite stained with tannins from a couple alder cones.

They get BBS maybe twice a week and microworm every day. They will also nibble at finely crushed Prima; but that’s a mortar and pestle job!

…not the easiest fish for pics!

Also, staying on the dwarf front – I got a shoal of 20 D. cf. dracula this week which have settled in with no problems. I have them in clear water about pH 6.5 but they came in quite heavily tannin-stained water

Matt
    Keymaster

Any pics of the Paedocypris set-up at least Colin? Would be v. interested to see.

Interesting theory about the egg shells Haji – washing them in freshwater certainly makes sense too.

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

QUOTE (Colin @ Mar 4 2011, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    …not the easiest fish for pics!

i agree /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

Colin
    Participant

…and an F number of at least 16… maybe even in the 20s if you can lol

I have pics but not here at work, perhaps Stefan can post the one I sent him???

They are in a bare tank, sponge filter – nothing special!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.