LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Pangio spp.

Viewing 8 posts - 136 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • Author

Thomas
    Participant

It’s time to dig out the best Pangio-thread ever! Cool

Today I sorted out 4 “unique” Pangio of a shipment of normal Pangio. First I’ve noticed the different patterning of the caudale. Some types of shelfordii has similar markings on the tailfin but I never seen it in such a clear form.

P_sp3_4.jpg

The next things that reminds me to the shelfordii group is that the eye is on a light zone ( like P. shelfordii or P. incognito), not on a dark bar like the most striped pangio have.
    P_sp3_5.jpgP_sp3_6.jpgP_sp3_7.jpg

A pair (male is the upper one)

But the body markings/saddles doesn’t looks like the shelfordii group.

The four are luckily two pairs (checked it in a white bucket from top) and the male have above the eye a dark zone, the females not. No sexual dimorphism I guess, only a note ;)

P_sp3_1m.jpg

The two males, the lower one has a small light line through the dark zone above the eye. At the upper one this aerea is complete dark.

P_sp3_2f.jpgP_sp3_3f.jpg

As you can see, The females don’t have this.

Now it’s your turn, what do you think?

Thomas

torso
    Participant

I think it’s a good find. Lucky you.

Cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

Agree it looks like a P. shelfordii-group fish but it has very well-defined markings – beautiful! Great to see you both around the place by the way. :)

Thomas
    Participant

Lips, barbels, nasaltubes and pectorals of a male.

P_sp3_9.jpgP_sp3_10.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

So what do we do with this one in terms of the KB?

Thomas
    Participant

Pangio sp. ‘PAN06’ With a hint to P. shelfordii and maybe P. incognito.

Sadly two died and I have only a pair.

Bonhilda
    Participant

I have two of these and they were sold to me as Pangio kuhlii. They are both very thin, and look a little more pink / orange than in the photos. I have only ever seen stripey or black / brown Kuhlis, and the behaviour of these two loaches is different from my stripey Kuhlis. It took me 20 mins of shooting to get these photos because they wouldn’t stay still at all. Are they albino P. kuhlii? Why are they both acting crazy? I wonder if they are a different species that requiring a lower temperature or something? The only ones I could find that look similar are Pangio pangia, Pangio elongata, and Pangio oblonga. Can anyone tell me if they are one of these, or something else altogether?

Also, how can I subscribe to this topic?

20150704_211933.jpg

20150704_212053.jpg

20150704_211758.jpg

20150704_211142.jpg

20150704_2112170.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi, they look like extremely thin P. oblonga, but get some food into them and we should be able to offer a more definitive id.

As for subscribing to the topic, the site is somewhat broken at the moment and unsure if that is possible, but try checking the box ‘Subscribe to this topic’ next time you make a reply here. It is found above the ‘Submit Reply’ button.

Will make an official announcement regarding the current problems shortly, and apologies for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Viewing 8 posts - 136 through 143 (of 143 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.