LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Parasphaerichthys lineatus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Parasphaerichthys lineatus

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Charles!

keith565
    Participant

glad yours are doing well. i lost all of mine. just died off one by one. no signs of disease or anything related. one minute alive and healthy and the next dead.
    what can you do????

Plaamoo
    Participant

That’s a shame Keith, sorry to hear that. I bought 2 different batches and lost one each time right off. They don’t seem to move well. I know I have better conditions than the shop! They’re a bit picky with feed, must be tiny! I have 2 that have grown well and can now take shaved bloodworm easily and I’ve seen tham eating spirulina flake bits. There’s one that’s smaller and seems to have a miniscule mouth! When I put the tiny white”wigglers” in it bites & bites at them several times before it can get it in and sometimes just gives up! I’ve been back a few times to this shop and now they have the real p. ocellatus(as these were labeled). They’re much bigger and not nearly as attracive IMO.
    My water is soft, KH/GH both 1-3…. PH 7.2-7.4, I find it difficult to accurately judge those colors…. TDS 70-80. Heavily planted, mature tank. It’s really a mess! I’m guessing there’s infusoria & stuff in the moss and plants for them. the cories in this tank are always breeding and several have made it on their own without any special feed for the frye.

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Wow these pictures did not make me want them less. My LFS has got a bunch of these in and I have been drooling over them. But sadly my tanks are all filled to the brim already.

oaken
    Participant

Thought you said you had a spare 25 litre tank, Señor /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Well I do got a spare but since I didn´t get my hands on Parosphromenus quindecim the tank is now waiting for some Nothobranchius eggersi. Sure I´ll give you my Indostomus, we´ll just have to wait for hell to freeze over first.

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

By the way oaken aren´t you supposed to be in Italy, then again maybe you are?

Humunuku
    Participant

QUOTE (keith565 @ Aug 6 2010, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    glad yours are doing well. i lost all of mine. just died off one by one. no signs of disease or anything related. one minute alive and healthy and the next dead.
    what can you do????

Mine also died off one by one, just as you mentioned. Some of them looked allmost more colorfull dead than alive.
    I started with 28 in the beginning of november, feeding them baby brine shrimp and microworms as well as frozen cyclops and they all seemed to accept the food, but now theres only three or four remaining.

Postings on other forums tends to indicate that it’s tricky, and Linke has mentioned that his experience with the species was rather short lived (3-4 months).
    So I wonder how many has been able to keep this species alive for a longer period?

Plaamoo
    Participant

I only have one left! Now I don’t feel so bad, it’s not just me. I don’t know what happened? I had 3 that were feeding and growing and looking good. I hadn’t paid much attn. for a week or two(lots of plants so they are often difficult to see) and then I noticed there was only 1. It’s been displaying the darker colors that they do when disturbed, may not last long either? I was going to try to find more but if this is the case maybe better not. Shame, very nice little fish!

Counting back from my first post looks like I’ve had them for 8 months so not bad I guess?

Matt
    Keymaster

Might be useful to try and get some habitat info in case these ever become available again? There’s none in the description because the type series was bought from ornamental fish collectors.

Humunuku
    Participant

Eight months is not bad at all compared to some of the stories of rather short aquaintanceship.

As far as I know the water parameters are:
    pH 7.5-8.0, 305 micro-Siemens, DH 4, GH 6
    Temp. 25° C to 20° C and lower during rainy season and winter.

Linke recomends to change the temp up or down a couple of °C everry third week with 23° C as a medium base temp.

It would be nice though to know what environment the fishes occour in.
    Do they hide in vegetation, still or slow flowing water etc.?

keith565
    Participant

i agree guys, we don’t know enough about their habitat to do these fab anabantoids justice. they do pop up on my friends list now and again, but I’m loathed to get more if i can’t get the habitat right.
    he has Sphaerichthys vaillanti in at the moment, but all clamped up (i was told once, that if they clamp, there is no going back)????

Colin
    Participant

I still have ten of ten which I got in October, I have the tank looking like a marine tank as i need to add so much coral sand to keep the pH above 7!!! So they are about 22deg C and pH 7.4 – 7.5. Feeding on grindal and tetra prima… they are still on price lists just now too. This lot were actually imported as ocellatus, but they are not

I also have Sphaerichthys vaillanti which I managed to bring back from fin clamping with salt and meth blue so it can be done. They are now in 90% RO/DI water and *touch wood* been okay for about 2 months

Colin
    Participant

Also… there is an article all about Parasphaericthys in the most recent Labyrinth magazie produced by the AAGB

Stefan

This one has been on my wishlist for years as well. Saw some in a German store last spring, but I couldn’t house them and there were so many ill and dead fish in the tank it seemd pointless to take some with alltogether. There’s indeed not much known about its habitat, unfortunately. When Petfrd is back up I’ll ask around there. I remember a more recent article about a guy spawning them and it had some some pics inside. I can’t remember where I saw it though as it wa many years ago. Spawning males look amazing with orange/black bodies!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.