LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Parasphaerichthys lineatus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Parasphaerichthys lineatus

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Stefan

The article doesn’t really elaborate, but that blue filter foam came to mind. I differentiate because I understood the foam wasn’t on the bottom, so to that doesn’t count as substrate like yours did. So the difference is his moving the eggs immidiately/during and yours not doing that or moving them to another pit in the sand.

Colin
    Participant

does it imply that the eggs were placed in the foam or that a nest was made under it with bubbles?

Stefan

No bubbles, the eggs “were placed deep inside the foam”.

Colin
    Participant

ah okay, so foam = the bubblenest?

I was thinking along the lines of the foam being a part of the filter and the eggs were being hidden there?

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Jun 25 2011, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ah okay, so foam = the bubblenest?

I was thinking along the lines of the foam being a part of the filter and the eggs were being hidden there?

If you mean the foam replaced the bubblenest (which was absent), then yes. I’m not sure if the foam was part of the working filter. Perhaps someone who read German better can have a read?

Matt
    Keymaster

Out of interest, are there any other recorded examples of a bubble-nesting species opting not to construct a nest and utilising surrounding objects as a spawning medium instead?

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 25 2011, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Out of interest, are there any other recorded examples of a bubble-nesting species opting not to construct a nest and utilising surrounding objects as a spawning medium instead?

From my own experiences: 0.

Matt
    Keymaster

…from your own experiences what? Yes or no?

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 25 2011, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    …from your own experiences what? Yes or no?

Matt
    Keymaster

Just don’t go inside if Colin asks you to enter his wardobe…

Stefan

Even so, something should have triggered it in both cases…I want to learn what did

Colin
    Participant

perhaps it’s just because i gave them the option? As explained with the Badis breeding – there were plenty of caves on the substrate – the fish chose the pipe floating on the surface. With the Para there are plenty surface plants and floating pipes – they choose the substrate

beats me, but if a badis tank only has caves they have no alternative –

i think the fish will just use whatever they think is safe and i bet size has a part of play in it too, especially with the Badis

(PS just figured out how to get online with my laptop through my HTC… much better

Author
Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.