LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Petfrd Hacked! :-(

Home Forums The Lounge Petfrd Hacked! :-(

This topic contains 19 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Jarcave 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Well this is awful news…

Bully
    Participant

There were no regular back-ups, no host back-up?

Still, a terrible shame for all that information to be gone

Stefan

We’ll (I’m a moderator) get it back up; we must! Even if we’ll have to start anew and empty.

MatsP
    Participant

QUOTE (Bully @ Dec 30 2010, 10:59 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    There were no regular back-ups, no host back-up?

Still, a terrible shame for all that information to be gone

Stefan

QUOTE (MatsP @ Dec 30 2010, 01:43 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    There is obviously some negligence on the part of the forum admin when something like this happens …

This is really uncalled for and not constructive. You don’t even know the admin so your statement is pre-mature, at best.

QUOTE (MatsP @ Dec 30 2010, 01:43 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    [1] This use of the term “hacker” is not one I particularly agree with – the term hacker originally was meant someone who really knows computers and can quickly come up with a program to do something useful on that machine – it has been turned into something that is quite derogatory by people who are not hackers and are after publicity…

So?

MatsP
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Dec 30 2010, 12:47 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This is really uncalled for and not constructive. You don’t even know the admin so your statement is pre-mature, at best.

I understand that it can be quite difficult to do this, but I still think if you are putting the effort in to run a forum for a long period of time, it is part of tha admin’s responsibility members to ensure it’s backed up. In a modern setup it should be fairly easy to back up the entire site onto a second server somewhere else.

Or do you know of any particular reason why there was no backup, that I should have known if I’d known the admin?

Now, that’s similar to saying “Well it was stupid to leave your motorbike in a locked garage without locking it to the floor, when someone could open the two padlocks on the garage door, and steal the alarmed bike”. This happened to me. And of course, it’s my fault for not ensuring more security on my bike. It’s still some criminals, thieves in this case, that stole the bike.

Likewise, it’s a criminal, probably some “script kid”, that broke into petfrd and destroyed the site. This is clearly not directly the admin’s fault.

Mats

Humunuku
    Participant

Really sad news. This was a true oasis of knowledge, info and images.

Looks like the images survived the attack and some content has been archived by waybackmachine.org.

A snapshot of the brackish-forum, from a while ago.

Colin
    Participant

oh what a disaster! Quite a few of us even contributed cash a couple of years ago to help jesse with the costs of the site.

This is a real shame, especially when it was the place that announced so many great new fish to us hobbyists like when the galaxy rasbora first appeared or when Betta rubra was rediscovered!

real shame

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 30 2010, 05:14 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This is a real shame, especially when it was the place that announced so many great new fish to us hobbyists like when the galaxy rasbora first appeared or when Betta rubra was rediscovered!

real shame /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” /> That’s why I really hope we can all get Petfrd back as soon as possible

Plaamoo
    Participant

Really bad news! I was wondering why i couldn’t access it. It said under construction so I didn’t worry. I’ll never understand how a “person” gains satisfaction from doing this?????

Best of luck getting it back up!

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

I liked petfrd it had a lot of really clued-up members. The margaritatus thread was a classic as said above. No backup is unfortunate though.

Kajsa12
    Participant

What a horrible news!
    All that valuable information gone.

keith565
    Participant

OMG, terrible news. i used to pop on now and again for info if i couldn’t find it on here. i do hope it is back up and running soon.
    good luck to the admins.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Here is the margaritatus thread for those that haven’t read it.

Linky

(First page anyway)

Bully
    Participant

QUOTE (mummymonkey @ Dec 31 2010, 03:37 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Here is the margaritatus thread for those that haven’t read it.

Linky

(First page anyway)

Even this information will be on borrowed time as Google cache catches up

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.