LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Poecilid Fish.. Unknown Id

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Poecilid Fish.. Unknown Id

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  David Marshall 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

harnsheng
    Participant

It was named Scarlet on the bag, but i have no idea what strain or species is this. The previous owner told me it’s somewhere between Micropoecilia and Poecilia but im not sure. Anyone have idea?

Anyway, it’s a really striking little fish.. i love this so much!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

It does look similar to Micropoecilia sp orange line but yours doesnt have the orange spot in the caudal fin

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

There are a large number of Poecilia/Micropoecilia parae around at the present time. Although Variable Molly is the most used common name for these fish they are sometimes sold as the Scarlet or Red Guppy.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

This one doesn’t look like any of the M. picta/parae forms I’ve seen before though. *scratches chin*

harnsheng
    Participant

Now, that the main headache! It doesnt look like any of those that i’ve search on the internet.

Resemblance:

Micropoecilia Orange Line – but mine had full body orange, not just a line..
    Scarlet Endlers – mine doesnt have the dots nor the mini doubleswords of the scarlet

By the way, my friend (the giver) told me to cull away those that have some dots… and selective breeding on the full orange body. Could it be just Endlers, which are half way through selective breeding? Hmmm…

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Very interesting thread we have here. Could be one of many Endlers variants?

Regards David

harnsheng
    Participant

David, i think so… but who knows.. perhaps the fry will give some hint. Let’s hope there’s other variant or wild form present in the fries

harnsheng
    Participant

Here it goes, the male are finally sexually active, and really trying hard to mate all the time. Thankfully, there were 5-6 females for him… wont get too much harassment for each female.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey harnsheng

From the body movement of the male, and the placement of his mouth, in your lovely photographs I am starting to wonder if you have either a pure or a crossed Gambusia species?

Gambusia aurata is known as the Gold Mosquitofish so have a look at photographs of this species.

Regards David

harnsheng
    Participant

Hi David,

Gambusia? hmm.. kinda hard to tell but i really dont think Gambusia were behind all these, besides, i dont know any of those Gambusia were bred to this extend. Is there any? would love to see and get some

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

We shall investigate further.

Regards David

harnsheng
    Participant

Cropped out shot of the gonopodium

Got this from one website, http://endlers.webs.com/gonopodium.htm
    To my eyes, it seems that the gonopodium resembles the endlers. Any idea?

Attached files

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey harnsheng

I was at an Open Show yesterday. On the bench was a male that matched the one on your lovely photographs.

I enquired with the ‘keeper’ of the fish, and others I know with an interest in livebearing fish.

I should have stuck with my first posting as these fish are coming into the U.K. as ‘Poecilia/Micropoecilia parae colour form from Czech Republic consolidators’.

Hope this helps.

Regards David

harnsheng
    Participant

wow.. that’s been a very helpful information. My friend once told me it’s was a micropoecilia, but im kinda doubt it, but now, another confirmation. Hmmmm….

Thanks David!

Matt
    Keymaster

It doesn’t look close to any of the described species and don’t think there’s any Gambusia in there either – I’m going for Poecilia sp. ‘Czechii’ with Micropoecilia possibly mixed in at some earlier point.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.