LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Preliminary Experiences With Rhinogobius zhoui

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Preliminary Experiences With Rhinogobius zhoui

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Looks like 14 babies out of the 2nd hatch finished the yolk sac…. so the net did work.
    The 3rd spawn was a failure; not a single egg eyed up… I guess the male did not do his part. :(

I don’t believe the bacteria part…something else is in play. the 14 from the 2nd spawn were in a sterile 5g and they did just as well as the previous in a dirty established tank. One interesting thing to try would be to see if one can use sand instead of a net… i have a feeling it may work just as well….

Ferrika
    Participant

If the eggs are not fertilized, has other causes, Mike. Then you need more water change, a lot and often. Phosphate / nitrate makes zhoui men infertile.

Matt
    Keymaster

What’s the maximum size of R. zhoui guys? Type description says 3.6 cm SL but am guessing they grow a little larger than that?

mikev
    Participant

Jutta will know better, all of mine are young, but I’d guess 2″ for males, 1.5″ for females.

Ferrika
    Participant

60 mm including tail, Matt

Matt
    Keymaster

So around 45 mm SL? Are females always smaller?

Ferrika
    Participant

Yes, the size is right so. And females are not smaller every time. Sometimes they are as large as males.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok great, thanks both.:smile:

mikev
    Participant

Ferrika,

If I may bother you again: what do you feed 15-20mm juveniles?
    (They are doing fine on artemia alone, but maybe it is time to supplement with something else).

Ferrika
    Participant

Anything that fits in their mouth. Mike :-) I’ll start with my pups always already to feed live and frozen food as soon as they are 1.5 cm tall. Mosquito larvae, tubifex, frozen brine shrimp, copepods, etc.

They look very well, Mike. Good job!

Ferrika
    Participant

I am very pleased! My article was published now translated in the Amazonas Magazin. For those interested: http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/252795/7534b1e377/ARCHIVE

Rüdiger
    Participant

Well done and well deserved!

In my opinion you are amongst the foremost experts on keeping and especially breeding Rhinogobius spp. On top of that you are capable of supplying superb photogrphy to go with it. No need to say more. :-)

Regards

R.

Ferrika
    Participant

Oh, thank you Rüdiger …. You make me very embarrassed ….Embarassed

Plaamoo
    Participant

I got it yesterday via email from Amazonas. Superb Jutta!

mikev
    Participant

Wow! Congratulations! Very nice!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.