LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Prog Rock Band Empire Springs Release

Home Forums Announcements Prog Rock Band Empire Springs Release

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

donaldrsimonn
    Participant

What Hippotraktor get right on Meridian, they get pretty much spot on. Let’s get the boring stuff out the way first; boring but vital. At just over 40 minutes in runtime spanning seven tracks, the record is taut enough for the heft of the music to carry over immaculately and effectively. Not a single track is wasted and every one feels full and dynamic. If there’s a genre that’s most commonly accused of being bloated and laboured to the point of exhaustion, it’s prog. I don’t want a Victorian banquet with twelve courses, I want an appetising starter, a main course that keeps me salivating for more, and a dessert that leaves me bouncing off the walls.

jonsmaradona
    Participant

The starter Hippotraktor are serving up is the incredibly aptly titled “Manifest the Mountain”, one of the most perfectly engineered opening songs of the year. It charges forward with a Periphery-esque propulsion before a sky-high chorus chars your skin and leaves you craving that main course. It’s a good time to mention another one of the band’s strengths, the dual vocal assault by Stefan de Graef (vocalist of Psychonaut) and Sander Rom, which creates a soaring force over the instrumentals, Rom hitting the roof with his high cleans while de Graef burrows underneath him with gorgeous, serpentine melodies.

alexanderdebrahan
    Participant

The rest of the album reiterates on these ideas, re-creating the sound of progressive metal from before it gave way to sweeping antics and polished sounds. If you’re interested in this different vision of what Prog Rock metal could have been, and still might be, then definitely give this album a chance. It definitely suffers from some of the weaknesses of that style (namely a bit of repetitiveness and an over-reliance on progressive tropes) but it more than makes up for those by wearing its musical heart on its sleeve.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.