LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

'Protomyzon' pachychilus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes 'Protomyzon' pachychilus

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Charles, you should be able to upload a video to your ‘media’ folder in the profile link at the very top left of the page, though am unsure how to make it display here – think there should be a url provided…

torso
    Participant

Hi all

as promised.

First video shows a pair on the frontglass – underside. Female at the left.

Second video the same pair beeing joined by another male. This cab go on until 7-8 specimen are together. They tend to form groups on the anubias too and stay mostly in the calmer part of the tank waiting for food.

Cheers Charles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knenic0fXpE&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQt1unwu7cs&feature=youtu.be

Matt
    Keymaster

This species has now been placed in its own genus: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/panda-loach-belongs-to-new-genus/

Matt
    Keymaster

@Thomas said:
    Hi Charles,

is the fifth pic from top also a pachychilus?

Cheers,
    Thomas

Another laterally-striped form:

Yaoshania-type-ii.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

This image of a preserved specimen from the type locality published in Kottelat (2012) is quite interesting since it appears closer to the second form as above, and it’s not a juvenile (SL 46.9 mm). Any thoughts?

Yaoshania-pachychilus-image-Kottelat-2012.JPG

mikev
    Participant

I took the plunge finally http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/ep1.jpg

mikev
    Participant

Here is a funny way the pattern breaks down… no literal line on this one

www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/pandal.jpg

I only had them for less than 2 months… and already, not one looks like a panda :(

torso
    Participant

Hi Matt

I don´t see a problem with the description. All my adult specimen have that stripe.

Regarding the striped juveniles: the pattern starts with the “panda-look”/striped look, the pattern breaks into blotches and all ends with a dark stripe and a characteristic dorsal pattern as seen in the description-pics. I just got a bunch of 14 juveniles, one striped. As with the first bunch. The second didn´t contain a striped specimen. I wouldn´t be able to distinguish the one of the first specimen. They all look alike.

Pics if needed for the profile.

One more info: they pass away in soft water after loosing the pattern to a great extend, becoming pale. Means: not below 4° KH, better is 6°-8°. And they like the presence of N. chrosomus. As adults they retire, hide. Now the are working the stones all day.

Cheers Charles

mikev
    Participant

How long did it take your juveniles for the “panda” pattern to break down?

(it took less than 2 months for all of mine to change… seems too fast… and makes me think that the fish was mistreated by the importer, both on water params and something else.)

torso
    Participant

I would say not more than 3 months. Certainly depends on the size/age. I have now one small specimen with distinct banding. We’ll see how long it takes.

Cheers Charles

mikev
    Participant

Thanks, Torso.

I’ve been worried since the vendor claimed to have kept them for a year already with practically no growth. Either he made this up, or he kept them totally inappropriately… the tds in the bag I received was 9 🙁 … kH probably 0… and I’m pretty sure he fed them very little too.
    Does not seem like a permanent damage, fortunately.

Matt
    Keymaster

How many did you get Mike? Still expensive over there?

Charles, yes please to pics.

mikev
    Participant

11. Should have been 12, but one croaked right away. The fish was affordable ($15 .. I guess 12 euro), but the vendor’s shipping was awful… I was lucky to lose only one.
    The going price in the US is about $30 now.

Matt
    Keymaster

Much cheaper than here then – price is still in the 40-50 euro bracket.

mikev
    Participant

A current listing showing $18 price: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfishl&1370580609
    (seems like another awful vendor).

The guy I got the fish from was awful, but at the time it was either $15 from him or $60 from anyone else. I got two orders of 6 fishes each… the first time, he put the heatpack in such a way that it did not work at all, so the fish came in at 52F. This was ok. The second time I asked him not to use the heatpack at all, but he used, and he put it right next to the bag, so the fish came in at 84F, and one croaked. :(

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.