LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

pseudogastros

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes pseudogastros

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

@olly said:
    Plaamoo, very beautiful fishes! P.fangi coloration seems to me strange. Another species?

Don’t know Olly? New for me. I’ll let them settle in and then ask Zhou. I considered p. changtingensis.

mikev
    Participant

Parking police

Matt
    Keymaster

Superb images Olly and very nice pick-ups Jim!

What does everyone think we should do about the Pseudogastromyzon¬†species information? I still can’t find anything which positively identifies these fish as P. fangi and have encountered similar difficulties with other species hence the lack of profiles.

mikev
    Participant

I do wonder if p.fangi’s may be p.changtingensis?

plaamoo, how are yours doing? problems over?

Plaamoo
    Participant

One died and another not far behind. Just too thin to bring back. Other two are looking OK. Red spots are great!

mikev
    Participant

One loss here too (today) http://www.doodoo.ru/smiles/slezy/s007.gif ” Just too thin to bring back” applies, and I do not think poor guy was eating at all… only hiding.

Red spots great indeed, but kalotaenia is yet nicer … it is kind of the same design but powered up.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Mine are eating, nut only aufwuchs. I did see the one larger fangi eat some morsels of bloodworm but the rest push it out of the way to continue grazing. Red spots seem to eat everything!

mikev
    Participant

I’m afraid to give them bloodworms, smaller ones are of the size that may die from it. I did give bloodworms to kalotaenia only, they are all large enough.
    [ quote]Red spots seem to eat everything!
    so do the kalotaenias, and in a more extreme form… after filling themselves on a mix of better food, they fight over the last algae wafer (least favorite food) like they starved for weeks. And both erromyzons dig for food fragments during the day.

Plaamoo
    Participant

@mikev said:
    I do wonder if p.fangi’s may be p.changtingensis?

Compare this to the mouth on Zhou’s facebook pics. Quite different.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bigsky_photos/PSmouthcrop_zps0377d40d.jpg

mikev
    Participant

how large is your specimen? — this may matter. His is nearly 2″.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Maybe 1.5 inches, the largest one is a good 2. The other thin one is gone this morning. Can you see the two openings behind the mouth? I’ve not noticed this before on suckers. I assume it allows them to process more biofilm?

mikev
    Participant

I can see them on your photo, I did not see them when I took my photos (and they would not sit on the front glass now so I cannot take a bottom-view photo again :( ). I can see another difference that may be related: if a fish is facing you and grazing or eating, look at its “nose”. It is actually moving.. I’ve never seen this with any other hillie either… and this may be caused by a differently structured mouth.

Also: if they have such a big anatomical difference indeed, this may mean that they are not too related to other pseudogastros, and their maintenance may be different too. Maybe you are right about biofilm, but maybe they do not eat biofilm at all. I’ve been throwing into the tank a variety of foods trying to cover this possibility, I guess in a month we will know if this makes a difference or not.

Another thought about food: using live bloodworms by Wetspot (I also saw them in my shipment but not in other hillie bags I got from him) was likely caused by Anthony seeing that the fish was not in a good shape.. he did tell me that they are in great shape. But also one can kill smaller hillies with bloodworms, the one that died was of the exact size I’d be most worried about. I’m giving some bloodworms to kalotaenia because they are obviously large enough to handle them but I would not risk either pseudogastro (laticeps tank also has smaller fish). OTOH, my variety for “fangi” includes grindals. No way of knowing if they are actually eating them, they are too shy to clearly see (nocturnal?), but they are grazing on something in the substrate I think.

Sorry for your loss.. I have at least two more thin ones but they seem to show some activity.. the one that died was hiding all the time :(

And as for the ID… I should take more photos and perhaps then we should ask Zhou again.

Plaamoo
    Participant

My fangi don’t hide. They graze constantly on the rocks & glass, no substrate in the tank. The redspots were out a lot at first but are now more shy and hide most of the time.

mikev
    Participant

Only one hid 100% of the time… the remaining smaller ones do it a bit, but this seems to be to avoid meeting the largest fangi, she (?) is nasty. If she is not in a bad mood, they behave normally.

As for the red spots: well, yes, same here and actually much worse… they started using substrate for hiding in the last couple of days. When they dig a cave under a stone and hide there, seeing them is quite difficult…. I still have four that did not discover the joy of digging yet… but within a day or two they will, and then it will be an empty-looking tank. :(

Kalotaenia is a much better fish for watching… they do not hide and food makes them all come out instantly.

mikev
    Participant

OK,… the “nose effect” is difficult to see but possible if you max the resolution and look at it in a larger viewer… look at the area of the face where the nose is supposed to be and you will see a bit of flickering there… very strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zFFI8kMC28&feature=youtu.be

And I took a bunch of mouth photos yesterday but did not see anything unusual (but only one fish cooperated by sitting on the front glass and it was a smaller one.)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.