LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Puntius identities

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Puntius identities

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years ago by Matt.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers! Was even doubting the id on that cf. muvattupuzhaensis (which I guess we should now call it?) as I added it to the profile.:smile: Off to edit the two profiles now.

Matt
    Keymaster

Er, only just got around to this, apologies, all done now.:oops:

Andy, do you it’s ok to list the fish we previously had as under P. punctata as P. cf. muvattupuzhaensis for the time being?

Puntius-punctatus-maybe-Hayath-1.jpg

andy rushworth
    Participant

Mmm, possibly with a question mark ? I think I kinda jumped the gun just a little ,the two pics by Mick are definitely P.punctata ,and the fish with the red dorsal might be Muvattupuzhaenis ,Marc wouldnt quite commit on the one with the red dorsal ,sooo I guess it might be worth keeping in Punctata as a possible Muvattupuzhaenis :)  ??????

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm okay, it doesn’t look much like Mick’s fish though right?

andy rushworth
    Participant

Mmm dunno Matt , I’d say they looked superficially similar ? apparently the one with red dorsal lacks speckling ,what makes them similar for me is the position of the caudal spot ! it also helps to distinguish both of them from Ticto !

Could do with reading Marc’s paper on Nigripinnis, perhaps these two are referenced ,I know there are pics ?

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah it seems to lack the speckling in the dorsal which is a diagnostic characters for P. punctata so guess it can’t be that species?

I checked Marc’s paper and it says that both P. punctata and P. muvattupuzhaensis have a complete lateral line with 23-24 (P. punctata) or 21-24 (P. muvattupuzhaensis) scales in the lateral series.

They also have the humeral blotch in the same place, i.e., the 4th or 5th scale below the lateral line.

Guess we need a copy of the P. muvattupuzhaensis description…

Matt
    Keymaster

Some more random pics for identification help…

Puntius-shalynius-maybe-Beta.jpgPuntius-sp..jpgPethia-sp.-Mizoram-Andrew-Rao.jpg

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt not kept Shalynus but top fish looks like ?

Is the second fish a young Manipurensis ?

Seem to remember Andrew Rao presenting this fish as undescribed from either N/E India or w/Burma ?

Sorry I’ve not been much help !

Matt
    Keymaster

Aha, glad you spotted this eventually Andy, thanks. 😀

No idea on that second one. Is manipurensis in the trade?

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

P. manipurensis turns up now and again. Seems to be popular with the show fraternity up this way.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Sorry but the top fish that I said was Shalynius isn’t :)

Matt
    Keymaster

Any idea what it might be Andy? Also, as per FB discussion, do you think we can add the bottom one as P. macrogramma?

Going to try and update the gelius ‘group’ this week. Wink

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , I’d say you are spot on with your Aurea pics your Gelius too , the second pic in the Canius pics looks a bit Gelius like ,but I’m not certain ?

Not sure about that Macrogramma ,people seem to think along those lines but nobody seems emphatic ?

As for that top pic I couldnt say with certainty but another member of the  Ticto complex ?

andy rushworth
    Participant

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=626376990736634

Hi Matt , a vid of my Systomus Tetrazona ,be interested in your view ?

Matt
    Keymaster

If collection in Sumatra is confirmed I’d say that is ‘P.tetrazona Andy! Please get some pics!!!

In Sarawak we caught ‘P.’ anchisporus from a beautiful habitat alongside a bunch of other species. Bright red pelvic fins!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.