LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Quarantine Tank – Set Up Advice

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Quarantine Tank – Set Up Advice

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kit117033 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kit117033
    Participant

Hi everyone.

Firstly I’m not sure if this is the right place for this post….so please feel free to move it if necessary.

Quick question – how to set up a quarantine tank quickly?

Long, boring but necessary details – I have two tanks (a 60ltr and a 125ltr)

The 125ltr is relatively new – been set up for approx 2 months and home to lots of shrimp (9 Amano, 5 Cherry, 3 Green, 3 Bumblebee, and an unidentified brown one) 3 flying fox, 3 upside-down cats, & 6 male Threadfin Rainbows. The tank is planted with Vallis (?) Anubias on bogwood (one large leafed and one small leafed) it also has a large piece of bog wood and a piece of coconut shell covered in moss! I have been adding “JBL Atvitol” every day and so far have very happy contented fish! /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” />

/laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Eyrie
    Participant

Couple of separate issues here.

The first is how to set up a q-tank, and what you’ve done is spot on. The fish can be moved over immediately as the filter sponge already contains the necessary bacteria that convert the ammonia (and resultant nitrIte) produced by the fish into nitrAte. However if the tank is left without fish then the bacteria will go dormant in the absence of an ammonia source and will then start to die off.

The second is that, unlike most diseases where the infected fish should be isolated for treatment, ich requires the whole tank to be treated and moving fish from there to another tank simply means that you will have to treat both tanks.

In addition to using the Exit I’d recommend turning the temperature up to 86F and increasing the surface disturbance as warmer water contains less oxygen. The reason for doing this is that ich is only vulnerable to treatment at one stage in its life cycle, so speeding up the life cycle exposes it to treatment more often within a given time frame. I’d keep adding Melafix as this is safe to use at the same time as other medications and, being an anti-bacterial, will help prevent any infection setting in where the white spots are.

If the current course doesn’t clear it, do a large water change with thorough gravel vac and repeat the entire course again (even if it looks like the ich has gone part way through).

Kit117033
    Participant

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 17 2010, 10:20 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Couple of separate issues here.

The first is how to set up a q-tank, and what you’ve done is spot on. The fish can be moved over immediately as the filter sponge already contains the necessary bacteria that convert the ammonia (and resultant nitrIte) produced by the fish into nitrAte. However if the tank is left without fish then the bacteria will go dormant in the absence of an ammonia source and will then start to die off.

The second is that, unlike most diseases where the infected fish should be isolated for treatment, ich requires the whole tank to be treated and moving fish from there to another tank simply means that you will have to treat both tanks.

In addition to using the Exit I’d recommend turning the temperature up to 86F and increasing the surface disturbance as warmer water contains less oxygen. The reason for doing this is that ich is only vulnerable to treatment at one stage in its life cycle, so speeding up the life cycle exposes it to treatment more often within a given time frame. I’d keep adding Melafix as this is safe to use at the same time as other medications and, being an anti-bacterial, will help prevent any infection setting in where the white spots are.

If the current course doesn’t clear it, do a large water change with thorough gravel vac and repeat the entire course again (even if it looks like the ich has gone part way through).

Thank you for your prompt reply Eyrie

I will increase the temp slowly to the infected tank and start putting Melafix in as well as the Exit (I didn’t know that you can combine them)

The main reason that I wanted to move my loaches (and cat) is because they are meant to be eventually in my larger tank. I have observed them and they show no signs of illness so far. If I quarantine them I can continue to observe them and only treat them if necessary as I have heard that they are more sensitive to medication.

Thank you so much for your advice

Author
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.