LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions On Crossocheilus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions On Crossocheilus

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Jun 13 2009, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    which I guess means the popular fish in the trade that comes under the name Siamensis is undescribed ?

Hi Andy do you mean the slim fish from central/western Thailand? Can it be C. langei?

Here are some images of plain-bodied Crossocheilus I have to add. All C. latius?

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , not overly sure about Langei ? this fish used to come into BAS and looked just like Thai Siamensis ? the ones that BAS imported under that name were from Borneo !

What are the distribution records for Langei ? are they Indonesian ,and or Thailand fish ?

Good pics of Latius Matt ! there is a very closely related fish called Crossocheilus latius burmanicus ,looks pretty similar in shape to Latius but has a darkish lateral band aka Siamensis , but dont worry its easy to tell apart

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Andy langei was described from Palembang which I’m sure you know is a town in the south of Sumatra. Apart from that all I’ve been able to find is speculation that it might also exist on Borneo and in Peninsular Malaysia/Thailand. Nothing definite. That’s why I asked as if langei isn’t found on the mainland then the Thai fish may well be undescribed???

What do you guys make of these? I’ve added the first one to the incomplete langei profile but now I think it might not be. Last pic is one of Mick’s:

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , it has to be said the more pics you see of striped Crosso’s the more varied they look

Matt
    Keymaster

Andy to which fish do you refer to as siamensis? Is there a pic in this thread? I’m getting confused…

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 12 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Mark how is their temperament?

Which one Matt? – the G. cambodgiensis ?

This is a pretty poor pic of a fish that I got a while ago as C. siamensis, this is the only pic I have because I only got 3 and they went belly up within 3 days for no apparent reason

Matt
    Keymaster

The atrilimes please and the nigriloba too as I’m now editing that one. And the retics as well…ahem…

Mark Duffill
    Participant

They are all very placid Matt, they keep themselves to themselves and dont bother any other fish, I havent even seen them have any spats with each other.

The nigriloba do seem to be a little more delicate than the others but once settled they are fine.

The only fish I have seen any aggression from were the 3 I bought as siamensis, I only had them 3 days or so but in that time I did see some chasing both among themselves and other fish.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Josef’s article was published in TAG Issue 8 with a small supplement in the newly available Issue 9.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Mark.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Andy I was reading about C. latius last night and I read something that I swear was written by you but I had a couple of beers down me and can’t find it again!

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt, I found that as they grew they became less gregarious , as young [small 1to2 inch] they would often swim in a group quite happily , but as they grew [3 to 5 inch] they became a little less active and tend to laze around more , having said this as far as aggression , not really they were okay , in my opinion they seemed more Garra like in behaviour i.e. sitting chest up on their pectoral fins , instead of free swimming as the S.E.Asian ones do ! nice fish I’d try them again if seen .

Matt
    Keymaster

Just the info I needed. Thanks Andy!

Daspricey
    Participant

And the retics as well…ahem… blush.gif

Ahh, you’re doing a profile of a fish i’ve kept! /unsure.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:unsure:” border=”0″ alt=”unsure.gif” />

Also love the gold sheen they have in certain angles ie,

Sorry about crap photo.

Nice fish.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I havent had any of mine loose scales that I have noticed anyway, I very rarely see much interaction between the Crosso’s and the Garra’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.