LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions On Garra

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions On Garra

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Tin Win has kindly supplied some awesome breeding info and a couple of images which I’ve added to the profile.

Matt
    Keymaster

Has anyone else kept G. bicornuta? I had a single, what I assumed to be adult @ around 4.5″ SL, specimen. It was pretty territorial with its tankmates and I’m interested to know if others have found the same. Stunning range of colours on the body of this fish by the way.

andy rushworth
    Participant

This thread is great love the interaction between aquarists about the differing feeding habits , I suppose each tank is a seperate life support system really !

Mark that big paper is awesome /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” />

Mark Duffill
    Participant

All the bicornuta I have seen Matt (some upto and over 6″ SL) have been aggressive towards other Garra’s, how they are kept on their own I don’t know but I have seen lone fish in shop tanks with loaches etc and these have still shown heightened aggression.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hey Mark, welcome back!

Bully
    Participant

In the August edition of PFK Jeremy Gay mentions swimming with Garra ceylonensis, his observation was that they swam in groups of 4 or 5 in a space that was the size of an Olympic swimming pool, their grazing areas were large boulders which they didn’t have to share with anything else. At least that’s the gist of it, the magazine is out of reach just now

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , I think the fish Mark might be refering to are the ones in Pier Aquatics , I once had a trio of Bicornuta , or at least thats what I bought them as ! after a bit of searching I then called them Mcclellandi ? they had a lateral band that would appear and then fade depending on the mood of the fish , the fins were very colourful with orange and yellow tones

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah definitely I agree they do best with a lot of space. Mine was in a 48 x 18 x 18 and like I said though it chased the other fish no damage was done. The description of your mcclellandi matches my fish exactly Andy; very interesting. How did you find out yours were that species and what then do you make of the fish pictured by Mark in the (incomplete) profile?

Matt
    Keymaster

Is this G. ceylonensis? Andy still interested to know your comments re. mcclellandi.

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I cant remember where but I did have that identified as ceylonensis Matt

Occasionally these do show a lateral band similar to the ceylonensis but very rarely, usually during feeding time, all 3 are really placid and mix well with the other Garra’s.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ve-ery nice fish Mark. Are they quite small as they look like youngsters of what I bought as bicornuta at first glance? Any idea where they were imported from?

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , the fish looks like a ceylonensis , but by no means certain ! I got to the McClelland tag really by trying to match the fish I had with the descriptions in the Indian books , again not with absolute certainty ! as already mentioned somwhere Garra’s are a mine field

Matt
    Keymaster

So I’m finding Andy.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 6 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ve-ery nice fish Mark. Are they quite small as they look like youngsters of what I bought as bicornuta at first glance? Any idea where they were imported from?

The biggest fish (pic 1) is around 85mm TL and the smallest of the 3 (pic 2) is around 70mm TL, I dont know where they came in from but they came in to Niels as Rainbow Garra.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.