LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions On Garra

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions On Garra

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Above is another ‘mystery Garra’. Mad Duff photographed this ‘little terrorist’ in one of my tanks. Always finding trouble, and losing scales as a result, ‘he’ will take on fish much larger than himself.

As MD agreed this fish looks like Garra rufra yet this is a specie that would appear not to be imported for aquaria?

Regards David

mickthefish
    Participant

David, BAS have got a tank load of them but they are only youngsters.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Cambodgiensis ok kept both singly or in a group fellas? Hi David, nice fish and good job uploading the pic hahaha!

Daspricey
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Aug 7 2009, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Cambodgiensis ok kept both singly or in a group fellas?

OK as groups but only in larger tanks. I’ve got three in my rio 400 and the two larger ones do fight and bully the smaller one a little but nothing bad comes of it. I wouldn’t have 3 in a tank smaller than 4′ though.

Edit: and is it correct that the males develop red mouthparts when in spawning condition? Do they also get tubercules?

This ones coming out of breeding condition i think, it;s been alot brighter not long before this photo was taken. You can just make out a little red

Yeah they do get tebercules.

Dave

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Mick

What name are BAS calling my Garra?

Matt you should not decry my uploading skills ha ha ha.

David

Matt
    Keymaster

Right back on the profiles after a tough few days at work. /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” /> How well-developed are the males’ tubercules compared to, for example, this one?

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Anyone have any idea on max SL for G. spilota?

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

6cm is the YAAS showing size for Garra spilota.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Yup David the biggest one recorded in the description was around that size but I have a sneaking suspicion it can get bigger. Think Mark keeps at least one so if he ever returns from his caravan maybe he’ll know.

Matt
    Keymaster

G. gotyla?

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

the first time BAS got spilota in they were at least 75mm if not more, Andy can corroborate this if his memory’s working.haha

mick

Mark Duffill
    Participant

My spilota are around 90mm to 95mm TL

Matt
    Keymaster

I love it when a plan comes together hehehe. Cheers for confirming that Mark.

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I have one Matt, I have seen the cf burmanicus on sale under a few names – half red garra, neon red garra, red tailed garra and just red garra.

Mine is the same size as my spilota

This is mine:

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Below is a photograph of my lovely Garra goyotola. As you will see ‘his’ best pal was a lovely Synodontis eupterus. These two fish would always dine together and had a joint strategy to protect their feeding area.

Regards David

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.