LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions On Puntius

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions On Puntius

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 272 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

That’s superb lads thanks a million.

BEDE-K
    Participant

Hi Matt,
    I think I can help with the Arulius Question as there are 3 and I have 2 of them. Puntius SRILANKENSIS the only one with the filament dorsal is the many years tank bred fish we have always seen in the shops, PUNTIUS ARULIUS ARULIUS is the most striking with 3 spots and lots of diamond shaped red markings on its body, PUNTIUS TAMBRAPARNE HAS 3 spots with a few small red markings I got mine from Tom Halvorsen about 3 years ago & his supplier explained the difference. Bede.

Matt
    Keymaster

I think tambraparnei has dorsal filaments too Bede? Did you ask Tom for the pics mate?

I’d like to add a profile for P. mahecola but I can’t find any information other than taxonomic stuff (which I’ll add, obviously). Here’s a pic by Mick. Andy’s fish? Can you guys supply a bit of aquarium care info/max size etc.? Cheers!

Edit – Ok I’ve added all the scientific info so just waiting for aquarium care advice now.

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt, sorry I’m a bit late

Matt
    Keymaster

Aargh Puntius it’s an absolute bloody minefield…

andy rushworth
    Participant

There has been a lot of confusion on the Arulius group , the common ones in the hobby are in fact A.tambraparnei ! as far as I know A.srilankanensis is the rarest of the group and as far as I know has not been imported by the aquarium trade as it is an endangered sp.

As for Arulius arulius there seems to be two fish that go under this name , the one that has the three largish body spots , and another which is similar , but has a lot more red colouring on the scales ,the one with the red scales [ a lot more red than the others ] seems to be scarce in the hobby , though its said that A.arulius has no filaments is a bit of an enigma , Mick had a group of these and one of his had what looked like the beginning of some dorsal filaments ?

Arulis Tambraparnei , common one with filaments .
    Arulius Srilankanensis , not seen in the hobby .
    Arulius Arulius , deep bodied with large blotches , stubby filaments , if any .
    Arulius ? similar to A.arulius but with lots more red on body , and not as deep bodied .

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok a couple more JJ pics for id:

P. masyai or a young P. conchonius?

P. orphoides (quite confident that yes)?

…and these are from someone else but should be P. sahyadriensis

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , the top one could be P.maysai ,deffinitely not Conchonius ! it also looks like a sophore or possibly a young chola ?

The others seem spot on .

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Andy 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt, Orphodes are quite a large fish , easy to care for , a largish tank is required as they can get to about 10 inches and are quite robust in stature , easy to feed taking most foods ,earth worms would be a welcome addition to their diet and would help to bring them into condition , the picture depicts them quite well , they really are a stunning fish ! I haven’t had them for a number of years , the nearest fish to these that I’ve had lately would be the Indian Sarana barbs , another nice fish for the larger tank , though not as colourful as the Orphodes , just a little word of caution for any would be keeper of these barbs , I once caught an 8 inch Sarana eating a 4inch Brachyrhamdia catfish , I assume the barb had mistaken it for an earth worm , as I had just thrown a hand full in .

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Andy

You must have some funny looking earthworms in Lancashire.

Happy Easter.

Regards David

retro_gk
    Participant

Took me a couple of days to read through this one ohmy.gif

Just a few of my thoughts regarding the Indian Puntius.

1. P. bimaculatus is restricted to the rivers running into the Bay of Bengal in peninsular India. The states of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and a bit of Karnataka. I have not come across any specimens in rivers that drain into the Arabian Sea.

2. Andy is spot on with his comments on P. arulius. There are 2 forms in the hobby, the one with the red belly scales seems to come from Kerala (I’ve only seen them in Wayanad), and the darker form with rounder blotches and larger eyes comes from Karnataka. I have not been able to collect these yet, only seen them in stores so far. JJPhoto has both forms illustrated here.

The red sided form from Kerala is also more aggressive towards conspecifics. I have not seen any specimens with dorsal filaments, though.

3. Mick’s pictures of the assimilis type with the double blotch is interesting. I’m not sure what to make of it. I’ve even considered the dreaded “h” word tongue.gif

4. Some pics of Indian barbs biggrin.gif

P. fasciatus from coastal Kerala.

P. fasciatus from a hill stream in Kerala.

P. fasciatus from where the hills meet the plains in Southern Karnataka.

P. assimilis from the type locality.

P. cf. filamentosus found with the assimilis above.

P. exclamatio from the type locality.

Matt
    Keymaster

It takes a real man to read through this entire thread for sure. /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” /> Lovely images too, do you mind if we add a couple to the relevant profiles?

Bimaculatus also occurs in Sri Lanka, right?

Finally, in our arulius profile here HW’s fish should be from Kerala and Mick’s from Karnataka?

retro_gk
    Participant

Fell free to use the images, Matt. Let me know if you want non-watermarked ones/other resolutions.

Yes, bimacs are found in SL as well.

Yes, again.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Retro, I must admit for years I thought Bimacs were Srilankan endemics , as most of the ones we saw were from there , I have seen the Indian ones a few years back ! I even heard that they had been logged in Burma ?

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 272 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.