LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions On Puntius

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions On Puntius

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 272 total)
  • Author

retro_gk
    Participant

I don’t think they’re found in Burma, Andy. South eastern India and Sri Lanka is where I’d look for them.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Yeah I suspect you’d be right on that Retro ! if I’m not mistaken I think Fish base’s records suggested Burma ?

Are the characteristics the same for both the Indian ones and the Srilankan ones i.e. colour ?

retro_gk
    Participant

I have not observed any differences between the fish from India and the fish from SL, Andy.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Retro , on retrospect it was perhaps a silly question ! I know the Srilankan ones vary from some locations , are the Indian ones used in the trade ?

retro_gk
    Participant

The only silly question is the one unasked

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Retro, are they as common in India as they are in Srilanka ? I seem to remember reading that they were pretty common there.

retro_gk
    Participant

Yup, they’re present pretty much every where you look along the South Eastern part of the peninsula.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Great stuff, thanks Retro ,underrated fish Bimac’s :

Matt
    Keymaster

Is this one P. dorsalis guys?

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 13 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Is this one P. dorsalis guys?

Hi Matt , the fish that used to enter the hobby via Srilanka as Dorsalis are now Puntius Kelumi [spelling ?] I’m not really sure of the validity of Dorsalis now ?

As for the fish in the pic I’d guess not ! I think the fish in the pic are Indian perhaps Retro might recognise them ?

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt , I’m a bit confused about Puntius Dorsalis perhaps the fish in your pic are ?

The Srilankan fish we used to know as Dorsalis is now called Kelumi , but is Kelumi native to Srilanka or does it come from India also ? I think Dorsalis was described from the Cauvery river in India and over on Indianaquariumhobbyist a pic of a fish caught there looked very much like Kelumi !
    Fish Base shows a fish that looks more like your fish as a Dorsalis .

This is a bit confusing /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Hey Andy,

According to the P. kelumi description P. dorsalis was described from Chennai in Tamil Nadu and is also found in Sri Lanka while kelumi is endemic to the island. The main differences seem to be that dorsalis has a dark marking at the base of the dorsal fin, another at the caudal peduncle and 4-5 scale rows between the lateral line and dorsal base whereas kelumi only has 3 1/2 scale rows between lateral line and dorsal (think this means the scales are bigger rather than it’s slimmer) and doesn’t have a dark marking under the dorsal. Dorsal fin colouration of kelumi is given as red in males, yellow in females and in dorsalis greyish to yellowish grey depending on the population. It only mentions adult specimens though and I guess the one in the pic above is a juvie which Pethiyagoda et al. say are patterned similarly in both species.

I think the fish in my original image was collected in India, let me check.

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Yes, collected in the Cauvery River drainage…seems it’s definitely not dorsalis but might be Jerdon’s “Barbuscarnaticus or even a Barbodes of Day. There’s a couple of old threads on Petfrd about it and no definitive conclusions were reached; looks like this one stays out of the KB for now!

Matt
    Keymaster

Here’s P. kelumi:

Attached files

Malti
    Participant

saw some Puntius denisonii in 2 LFS today…why are they so expensive?

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 272 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.