LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions On Puntius

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions On Puntius

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 272 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Out on the chemic? You lost me chief….

mickthefish
    Participant

on the chemic is out on the booze round here bud.

and yes thats fine as some shops are still using mahecola barbs.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Hahaha, how didn’t I guess? /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

hey Matt, Davids on site at the mo he’s not old enough to booze yet, i bet he’s getting jealous. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Nah I bet he’s just in from the park where he’s been swigging cheap cider all night with all the other hoodies! /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

Like your style bud, i’ve seen a couple of pics of David and he looks a level headed lad, but he did look a little hung over in the pics. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Is the pic we have for Puntius bimaculatus correct? I seem to remember the ones we had in at the shop had more red on the flanks?

Cheers

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

i’m almost sure it’s right Matt, it’s a very poor specimen though.
    like you say you usually see the red band on them, i have a feeling this pic was taken at BAS but they were’nt the best i’ve seen.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah we really need to start phasing out some of our images. It was something we did to get a bunch of pics in the early days but I have to say many are useless for identification purposes or just plain wrong. /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

yeah go head mate.
    i’ve not kept bimacs for years, the best i’ve seen were in a garden centre in cheadle but i bought some other fish instead.
    if i clock any on my travels i’ll take a couple of pics of them.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok sorted.

mickthefish
    Participant

yes mate the conchonius is very widely distributed but i should imagine the majority of wildies we see are from different places in India, pablito had one it was humungous but lacked any body colour except for the peduncle spot, BAS has had a few shipments of wildies and each time they were slightly different.
    they also brought a shipment in and i’m pretty sure they were hybrids, i have a crappy pic of them in the tank at BAS.

as to assimilis, Graeme had some fantastic coloured ones, mine i’m sure are the kerala strain, so same again wherever they’re caught they could be slightly different.

the ticto group are different in the north from the southern tictos, Andy Rushworth used to collect all the variants he could find, some were great others not so good.
    i got one sent by Andrew Rao and that was a beauty.

mick
    look at the variants in Barbus jae there must be at least 6 or 7 variants in a small area where they’re caught.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info Mick. This really is a difficult genus to research and write about. I knew there were all these different forms of some species and I’ve been dreading doing the profiles to be honest. Getting pictures is going to be a nightmare too. It’s P. cumingii next which is another bloody enigma from what I can make out… /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> )?

One more thing mate, what’s this stunner? Going on the barbel length and mouth I’d say it’s a male assimilis but just want to make sure before I add it to the profile:

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

hi Matt, that is a pic of one of the fish that Andrew Rao sent me, it has the lateral blotch bud.

i’ll ask Andy Rush if there’s a decent book for info on the cummingii mate.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Sorry Mick yes I spotted that too, wasn’t very clear about what I meant. So I can put it in as an “assimilis-type”?

Next question!

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 272 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.