LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions On Puntius

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions On Puntius

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 272 total)
  • Author

mickthefish
    Participant

personally i’ve not found it so, within 24-36 hours and they’ve hatched.
    and it’s virtually the same to free-swimming, on a rough around 3 days.
    for first time breeders of this genus the first foods for them is infusoria in the smaller species, but they will only feed on this for 2 or 3 days then try them with a small quantity of bbs and micro worms, growth is quite fast with most fry being ready to go at around 3 mths.

mick

mickthefish
    Participant

to the assimilis type Matt, i would add it as a possible location type until more work is done on them by Bolton museum lads.

mick

mickthefish
    Participant

HEY bud, it’s pay day for you so does that mean you’ll go on the missing list. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Sadly not Mick /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

Matt, i’ve been having a natter with Andy rush over the cummingii, and we are more or less certain that the fish we get in the shops are bred in fish farms as little or no fish are available from Sri lanka.
    so really i would go of personal experiences with this fish.
    the cummingii i’ve seen are.
    yellow fins with black spots in mainly the dorsal.
    red fins with again black flecking mainly in the dorsal.
    clear finned and a very bland body colour.
    and a fish that is a cummingii but has the dorsal markins very similar to a stolicks..

will that do bud?.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Mick. /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” />

mickthefish
    Participant

sorry bud not had this fish for a good while now, it’s all these new fish thats coming over.
    i’ve got a shop round the corner if they have any i’ll take a few shots.

mick

i would think so Matt as i’ve not heard of anything coming out of Sri Lanka.

Matt
    Keymaster

Managed to snag some better pics of bimaculatus (with permission of course).

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

it’s confirmed mate, i’ve seen females maybe a half inch bigger than the males and these were fully mature fish.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Don’t know what I’d do without you sometimes buddy. Cheers!

mickthefish
    Participant

just wait till Andy sticks his oar in bud, he’s better than me by a long way.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

How best to distinguish cumingii from P. narayani, P. phutunio and P. ticto? From pictures it seems that narayani has an additional dark marking on the midbody, phutunio a slighter body shape and a smaller adult size and ticto smaller dark blotches on the body? I suppose what I’m asking is…..is there a single defining characteristic for cumingii that sets it apart from the others?

mickthefish
    Participant

personally i think it’s the large bar blotch behind the gills, there’s only a couple other barbs with this, odessaand to an extent phutonio, but both these fish have a more elongate body whereas the cummingi is a short stumpy fish. ticto just has a humeral spot.
    i think that makes sense?.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

It does yep. Cheers!

Matt
    Keymaster

Does P. bimaculatus occur in both India and Sri Lanka guys?

Also any info on the relationship between P. everetti and P. dunckeri? From what I can gather these two look similar but dunckeri is restricted to Singapore and Malaysia? Does that mean that the occurences for everetti in Singapore are actually dunckeri or do both species occur there?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 272 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.