LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions On Rasbora

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions On Rasbora

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 140 total)
  • Author

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Yeah very adaptable, I always kept my R. cephalotaenia above 7, the only time I had problems with any R. cephalotaenia was if the ph fell below 6.5

Like Mick said they need plenty of swimming space so 4ft is a must

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers lads 10 points each.

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

i’m not sure on this one but from what i understand about this species they should have a pinkish blush in the tail and dorsal and the stripe should not be as prominent as jjs pic.

mick

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I wouldn’t say R. dusonensis, like Mick says stripe shouldn’t be as vivid as that and neither should the gold line above. R. dusonensis looks similar to R. argyrotaenia but yellow to rosy red colour in tail.

For that fish I would say either R. chrysotaenia or R. daniconius

The thing about R. daniconius is that there are populations of R. daniconius in India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangka, Burma with possible populations in Thailand and Kampuchea so because it is pretty much the most widespread species there is a high chance of multiple geographical races or variations.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Matt definetly not dusonensis. The rays in the leading edges of the anal on d. have what Roy Wilerton described to me as an ‘optical distortion’ about them that makes them appear to be thickly layered, although on close inspection this is not the case. Roy also told me that the anal fin of these fish is shaped like the dorsal of a shark. All of the fins in d. have a pink hue.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Aye daniconius is going to be a problem methinks.

mickthefish
    Participant

Matt, i have’nt got a pic but if you go on Michael Lo’s site there are some pics there, plus you can ask if you can use a couple of pics i don’t think he’ll refuse you.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Mick I think I will. Michael actually agreed to let us use some of his pics (which we have) a while back but I don’t want to keep bugging people. Choy said we could use his pics a few months back but I asked if it was still ok a few weeks back and haven’t had a reply. Same with Nonn; I sent him a pm on Petfrd but he never answered. I suppose these guys must get loads of requests. So frustrating wanting to cover a species and not being able to provide images.

mickthefish
    Participant

yes mate, BAS had some in a good while back, they don’t have the vibrance asseen in the smaller species,
    i would love to know which species is which as no- ones come up with the answer to this question.?

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Right I’ve spent the last few hours reading about dorsiocellata and I think I’ve come up with the answer to this Mick. I reckon it goes something like:

– ‘normal’ dorsiocellata i.e. the commonly-seen silver fish that doens’t grow very large.
    – ‘red’ dorsiocellata like the ones you have.
    – possible other forms of dorsiocellata.

dorsiocellta macrophthalma or possibly just macrophthalma. This is the bigger, slightly plainer one.

I had a read of The Dark One’s paper on macrophthalmus and have sent him an email too but from the paper it says that macrophthalmus differs in the adult size and that there is a green/yellow blotch in front of the dark blotch in the dorsal and behind that a white blotch merging into the dark part. In dorsiocellata the first marking is white and is more distinctly separate from the dark patch.

Now looking at our images for dorsiocellata:

JJ Photo has a white, very distinct blotch so should be dorsiocellata:

Now CK’s pic; what do you chaps make of the dorsal patterning?

Attached files

mickthefish
    Participant

CK has taken a pic of the same fish i have Matt, you can see the orange rost colour at the start of the caudal vitually into the C peduncle.

mick
    ps, me and andy have debated about this fish for a few years and we came up with what Steve TDO has come up with but were never sure about

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice one Mick. Would you mind having a quick gander at the profile here when you have time and tell me if you think what I’ve written in the notes is ok?

Also I’ve put a max size of 3.5cm which if I understand right is the max size for the ‘real’ dorsiocellata…Ok as well?

mickthefish
    Participant

sorted matey, thats a lot of good info.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Mick, that means a lot coming from you.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

Very little but may help.

Roy Wilerton kept Rasbora dusonensis, which he purchased from the much missed Palmer’s at Hull. He found these Rosefin Rasbora to be very ‘skittish’ and easily ‘spooked’. If I remember properly these fish were kept in soft water.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.