LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions On Rasbora

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions On Rasbora

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 140 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Rasbora paucisqualis chaps?

Attached files

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

Looks very much like a colour form of Rasbora urophthalmoides (Ocellated dwarf Rasbora) but these fish usually have a broken looking lateral line?

Regards David

Mark Duffill
    Participant

If that is a black mark in the anal fin around the 3rd ray then yes its a good chance that that is Rasbora paucisqualis.

I think this could be what Emma got in a while ago labelled as Microrasbora cf. kubotai

Matt
    Keymaster

I tried zooming in on the fish but the image isn’t of a high enough resolution to make out any dorsal marking. Boo.

Here’s some more questions for you boys.

Mick and Mark, do you have any idea where your R. brittani came from i.e. collection locality as I’m having a nightmare trying to find out. Is it a blackwater species?

FB list R. paviei as R. paviana with paviei as a synonym. What gives?

mickthefish
    Participant

mine came from Patrick, so he’s just a dealer, they should come from Indonesia and Malaysia.
    the recommended ph for them is 6 to 6.5 but i’ve found they do far better at ph 7 or slightly over.
    I find them to be delicate when first introduced to one of my tanks as does Andy Rushworth.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers mate that’s great info. Loads of problems with finding out where exactly this fish is from but I’ll write some drivel to cover it for now.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Rasbora rasbora is commonly known as the Bengal Rasbora. 4″ maximum size. It is found in the lower Ganges, adjacemt India and extends into east Burma.

Don’t know if paviei is a synonym of paviana. Do know that cheroni is a synonym of pavei. Three in one?

Matt
    Keymaster

Mark mate any view on this paviei/paviana malarkey?

I’ve started the R. wilpita page now as well so any info anyone has more than gratefully received.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

Rasbora wilpita was scientifically named in 1991. Although commercially bred it is an endangered specie. Wild populations are only found in a small stretch of a stream in the Wilpita Estate in montane Sri Lanka. Grows to 3.6″. Characterised by a mouth which is slanted strongly upwards. Lateral line of thick black. Above this line is an intense black coloured reticulated kind of pattern. All fins have white tips.

A little but should help.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

I’m struggling to find any info on the habitat other than ‘a small section of stream’. Do we know if it’s clear or blackwater?

I think it must be being bred somewhere as I’ve seen more than one batch of them in recent years. *scratches chin*

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Matt

Yes a retail outlet in the north west had some tank bred wilpita a couple of years past. I have judged this fish on the showing bench.

Only info. I have on these fish already posted.

Regards David

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Steve Grant had a lot of info about wilpita, we were wondering at some point if the wild fish that I got from Patrick were in fact cf wilpita but Steve thinks these are actually true wilpita, Neil has just had some sent by Nonn under the name “Ceylon” Rasbora and they have turned out to be wilpita so they must be collectible.

The photo’s on JJ’s and fishbase aren’t wilpita.

Matt
    Keymaster

Good thing we have your superb pics to add to the profile then Mark! /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 5 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Good thing we have your superb pics to add to the profile then Mark! /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” />

I have had adults to 4″ and there are a couple in the display tank at BAS around the 4″ mark – they do tend to enjoy the high flow setup that I have for the loaches but I cant say if they like less flow as I haven’t had them in any other tanks, I would say that really they should be in 4ft tanks at least because they are a stocky fish that likes to swim around a lot and they have a good turn of speed when swimming around in a shoal.

No probs Matt hope you had a good day

Matt
    Keymaster

That’s great cheers Mark.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.