LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Questions on Rhinogobius

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Questions on Rhinogobius

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 122 total)
  • Author

Ferrika
    Participant

Matt, as I know, is R. duospilus occuring in both countrys. But all animals, I received until today from Hong Kong, was not R. duospilus. But I couldn’t identify them. I’m only sure, that it’s not R. duospilus.

olly
    Participant

Thank you very much, Ferrika. Now I got acquainted with themSmile.

Thank you, Matt. I have one guess for explanation of conflicting information. The vendor said that in a package with P.fangi there was a pair of R.duospilus
    (male and female), and in a package with P.cheni – a pair of R.zhoui (he didn’t know names of gobies, but he showed their pics). It seems to me, that it’s hard to catch a pairs of rhinogobiuses as concomitants so accidentally, exactly and successfully. I think that the vendor in Singapore could add pairs of rhinogobiuses in package with pseudogastromyzons as a bonus or for advertising. I do not know the truth. Just a guess.

Matt
    Keymaster

I’m still waiting for a couple of papers to arrive hence the lack of progress over the last week or so. 😕

Just to keep things clear, R. duospilus should have: cheek with 1–3 oblique, parallel dark stripes in male; branchiostegal membrane with several parallel orange-red stripes in male; a pair of black spots at pectoral-fin base.

Here’s a specimen from Hong Kong:

Rhinogobius-duospilus-HK.jpg

Some apparently conspecific fish from the trade?

Rhinogobius-duospilus-maybe.jpgRhinogobius-duospilus-VF-1.jpg

Ferrika
    Participant

The last two pics show the Rhinogobius cf. nandujiangensis. The Branchio Stegalmembran shows exactly 8 red stripes. At Rhinogobius duospilus there are ~ 32 short stripes.

“cf.” because the location is not Hainan and the animals differ slightly from those described in the paper.

mikev
    Participant

Jutta,

would you please comment on this photo:

http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/Red-spot%20Goby%20-%20Mike%20Jacobs.jpg

Your eyes are so much better than mine…. Rubro? Female, I think? But is it gray or red strain?—or should I ask for another photo?

Thank you very much in advance!

Matt
    Keymaster

@Ferrika said:
    The last two pics show the Rhinogobius cf. nandujiangensis. The Branchio Stegalmembran shows exactly 8 red stripes. At Rhinogobius duospilus there are ~ 32 short stripes.

“cf.” because the location is not Hainan and the animals differ slightly from those described in the paper.

Ok thanks a lot Jutta, I don’t think we have the same papers then because I have not seen any reference to R. duosplilus having 32 branchiostegal stripes – most authors just say ‘several’. 

I have made lists of the diagnoses of species we don’t have photos of, plus the R. duospilus-type fishes. Will send both to you now.

Does anyone have a copy of this?

Chen, I-S. , P. J. Miller, H.-L. Wu and L.-S. Fang. 2002. Taxonomy and mitochondrial sequence evolution in non-diadromous species of Rhinogobius (Teleostei: Gobiidae) of Hainan Island, southern China. Marine and Freshwater Research v. 53 (no. 2): 259-273.

I am struggling to find it. Confused

The references I do have state that R. nandujiangensis has:

Cheek and opercle creamy yellow with dark-brown streak, branchiostegal membrane with 5-7 dark-red lines. Basal part of pectoral fin with dark-brown spot.

Ferrika
    Participant

@mikev said:
    Jutta,

would you please comment on this photo:

Your eyes are so much better than mine…. Rubro? Female, I think? But is it gray or red strain?—or should I ask for another photo?

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi Mike,

no, I don’t think, that is a R. rubromaculatus. Very bad pic, but the dorsal fin shows the color of R. chiengmaiensis. Also the shape indicates this.

Matt,

I will search for the papers, from which I have my informations. The one, you asked for I’ve sent to you.

mikev
    Participant

Thanks a lot Jutta,

I will pester the vendor for more photos and then probably pester you again… sorry!

Also, I went to your site to read on chiengmaiensis…where else to go?…:P… noticed that the photos are marked as R.mekongianus (synonym, I think).

Ferrika
    Participant

@mikev said:
    Thanks a lot Jutta,

I will pester the vendor for more photos and then probably pester you again… sorry!

Also, I went to your site to read on chiengmaiensis…where else to go?…:P… noticed that the photos are marked as R.mekongianus (synonym, I think).

No, not a Synonym, it’s a confusion. I must correct the pics.

mikev
    Participant

How sure are you that the photo is indeed R.chiengmaiensis (or for that matter, of a rhinogobuis of some kind)?

I cannot get anything out the vendor: he says he spent a lot of time and cannot take any decent photos or sex them… he says the fish is about 2.7cm now so maybe they are not sexable yet?

Not sure what to do here… I surely would love another rhino but these are not cheap and I cannot look at them myself. :(

Ferrika
    Participant

90% sure, Mike. But sexing this species is very hard, espacially for a dealer. The only thing you can do, is to take a larger group of them. You’ll be lucky to get in a group both sexes, because the females barely differ from the males.
    I bought my group in this way, because the wholesaler will also not looks up, what gender he catches from the basin. My group then consisted of 4 males and 6 females.

By the way: The fact that the animal in the picture is Rhinogobius can be seen in the red triangle on the nose.

mikev
    Participant

Thanks a lot Jutta,

The stopper is the cost… not totally prohibitive but I spent several hundred on fish in the last three months already… let me think for a day.

The fact that the animal in the picture is Rhinogobius can be seen in the red triangle on the nose.

I knew this.. but getting them is so insane that I needed an extra confirmation from you. 😳

Ferrika
    Participant

Are they so expensive, Mike? With us they cost ~ 5 – 8 Euro.

mikev
    Participant

$20 ea. Actually the price is not a stopper but I don’t see a way to fit another 10g tank into the room and nothing smaller would work for a dozen.

Ferrika
    Participant

Sometime you come easy to me to Germany and then you pack all Rhinogobius that you want to have :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 122 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.