LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Rasbora cf. dandia

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Rasbora cf. dandia

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

andy rushworth
    Participant

Love the automatic feeder

ste12000

QUOTE (andy rushworth @ Nov 9 2011, 05:55 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Love the automatic feeder

coelacanth
    Participant

Eggs all hatching today
    Shoddy picture time…..
    This is the spawned-out female.

Attached files

coelacanth
    Participant

Fairly sure this was the responsible male

Attached files

ste12000

QUOTE (coelacanth @ Nov 10 2011, 12:58 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Fairly sure this was the responsible male

They look to be a fairly large fish Pete? are they substrate spawners or scatterers amongst plants?

coelacanth
    Participant

The eggs are large (very!) and non-sticky, they are scatters but probably not over plants (there are some large and dense clumps of java fern in the tank but there were no fertile eggs in amongst these when I shook them).
    The size of the egg suggests to me that they either spawn in areas with significant flow (large fry better able to contend with water velocity) or their habitat is poor in suitable nursery areas with not enough small food organisms. I wouldn’t be surprised if they grow like stink.

coelacanth
    Participant

Fry were all hatched by Friday a.m. and were offered paramecium as a precaution in case they were ready to feed. Some are already onto newly-hatched artemia.
    Two groups of 30 have been set aside for one of our students to compare live feeding against artificial feeding, she was supposed to be doing it with Chilatherina fry but we’ve not been able to get enough of those to make it worthwhile.

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice, will be interesting to see if they grow as fast as precicted.

pablito
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Nov 17 2011, 03:45 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Nice, will be interesting to see if they grow as fast as precicted.

Well Erica’s project appears to be bearing fruit. The group of fry being raised naturally (paramecium, microworm, artemia nauplii) are light years ahead of the group being raised on factory manufactured foods. The difference in size is astonishing with some of the naturalists attaining 6mm already and moving onto nauplii. Opposite group are still slivers of flesh.

Matt
    Keymaster

Are you using a particular brand or a mixture guys?

coelacanth
    Participant

We are using a particular brand, and it’s an excellent product that is widely used within the hobby and industry. We’ve had good results with on a whole range of species, so it’s really surprising to see the dramatic difference. I’m not saying the actual brand because this isn’t being done to criticise artificial foods per se, but to show that it’s worth taking the effort to culture live foods in addition. I suppose a more thorough test would have included a third group being fed a combination of live and manufactured foods (the main group are being fed this way, but there are so many of them that there’s no comparison with the two test groups).

Matt
    Keymaster

How are the young ‘uns doing now?

Pete, do you still think this is the same as your fish? Will make the necessary KB changes if so…

Attached files

coelacanth
    Participant

They are amongst the fastest-growing fry you could get. If you’ve ever seen koi or goldfish fry grow in warm water, these are about the same. Some of them are already capable of eating small earthworms at over 1″ long!
    I would say the fish pictured above is also cf. dandia.

Matt
    Keymaster

Hah as you predicted then.

Attached files

pablito
    Participant
    Colin wrote on Nov 8 2011, 05:19 PM:
    Great photos Pete
    what are you using for the pics?
    cheers
    Colin

The instrument we used can be found at lidl via the following link. Well worth sending a note to Father Xmas requesting he bring you one. http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//lidl_u…r=7&nf=True

They go fairly quickly as well

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.