LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

rhinogobius rubromaculatus: sexing

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes rhinogobius rubromaculatus: sexing

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mikev 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

OK.. I got 6 of them.. tried to get 3 pairs, but it looks now like 3m/1f and two questionable.
    One problem was that the tanks at the vendors place had very little light so sexing by rims was not possible. (In fact I was not even sure they are rubros the first time I went there: I could not see any red dots on any fish!) I had to rely on the top view and head shape…simply nothing else to go by.

They got much more colorful in my tank and now rims make some sense. I’m pretty positive that 3m are guessed correctly, these guys also get darker when showing off, and at least one shows the interest to the cave as a male should. One female is very likely, the other two may be smaller males, and one of these is not in the best shape (was too dark to see). I’ll try to take photos later and post. (I really hate the idea of spending half a day the third time but if I have only one female I probably should.).

Possibly they are not the same locale as Jutta’s photos… your male photo has lots of white in the dorsal, but white is diffused… the border of the rim is not sharp. In mine it is.

mikev
    Participant

These are the critters:
    http://www.micropress-inc.com/fishpic/rm-group.jpg

Ferrika
    Participant

So you can still see something, Mike.

Bottom left shows a male, right on the disc as well.

Left to the disk and the animal behind it are female, the animal behind the male on the disc is also a woman.

Only the little in the background is not easy to discern.

Matt
    Keymaster

Am shifting mine to a bigger tank this week so will try and get some pics to compare.

mikev
    Participant

@Ferrika said:

So you can still see something, Mike.

Bottom left shows a male, right on the disc as well.
    Left to the disk and the animal behind it are female, the animal behind the male on the disc is also a woman.
    Only the little in the background is not easy to discern.

Thank you very much! It is encouraging that you see at least two of each sex!

I could only see them in my tank, in the vendor’s tank they were uncolored to the point that no red dots were visible, and I did not take them the first time since both me and the vendor thought they are some other species!

Do you happen to know where one can find photos of other strains (mine are gray, right?)? Very curious how they look like.

Ferrika
    Participant

Yes, Mike, your are gray.

Don’t you know my site? http://ferraqua.de. There you can find pics of the other variations in the gallary.

mikev
    Participant

Found! Very nice, and very nice site too!–I think I saw it before, but it looks much richer now.

Strange fish… today they show strong stripe pattern, especially males… Your grays do this too? — or is another locale after all?

Ferrika
    Participant

Yes, Mike, my also show such strips. And stains. And sometimes they are completely black. Especially the females have sometimes suddenly black heads. These are all expressions of being. Courtship, anger, well-being …. Hardly any other species of fish can change the color as strong as Gobiidae.

mikev
    Participant

Yes, of course… but the effect is much stronger than I’ve seen in other rhinos so far.

Let me ask you something else if I may: how bad is the aggression you are seeing? Yesterday late night two males got into a pretty vicious fight, actually biting each other… I broke it off and turned off light, but now I’m getting worried.

Ferrika
    Participant

These battles can be quite violent, if they have not yet occupied their territories and are about equally strong. They pull each other on the mouth, until one gives way. Basically should be in your quick past, because the difference in size is quite large.
    You can not do much about it. Let them fight it out. Concern for clean water and prevent infection, then there’s not much happening.

Do you have several flat stones in the basin, so that everyone can take a stone for himself?

mikev
    Participant

Right, pulling on the mouth is what they did. Unfortunately, the two larger males are identical in size (the photo distorted the sizes). I’ll provide more stones.

Thanks.

mikev
    Participant

Jutta,

they are doing fine, and no more fighting… but no interest in spawning either, despite the males being quite active/colorful and the females getting fat…. Any hints or just wait?

Thank you!

Ferrika
    Participant

Be patient, Mike. You will already spawn soon enough, and then probably more than you want.

mikev
    Participant

The problem with these guys is that they are too food-oriented.

They are quite different from zhoui’s in eating habits… once the zhoui’s have a few bloodworms they lose interest in food and start displaying to each other.

Rubros, otoh, do not believe in uneaten food. they consume 3 times as much as zhouis, and still beg for more. They are simply not interested in anything else, only sit in front of the tank waiting for more food…. pretty much all the time.

Ferrika
    Participant

This is strange, Mike. My gang begs only at feeding time. Who is with me but relatively firm. Every other day (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday) 17:00 to 18:00 clock. Outside this time I can even come up with their bowls, they do not even take note of.
    In the remaining time is boasted, played and they courtship.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.