LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

S.t.a.m.p.s. Fish Show 31st May 2009.

Home Forums The Lounge S.t.a.m.p.s. Fish Show 31st May 2009.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

mickthefish
    Participant

this is the reason i give up showing fish, for every good judge there’s a dozen numpty’s.
    i used to have big arguments when i’d done my research on the fish put the correct name on the tank for a pillock of a judge to tell me he thought it was another fish.
    i put a breeders team of the blue eye ancistrus on the bench and at that time i was the only person to breed them in the UK, for him to move my team to a lower grade and tell me in scotland they were breeding them like rabbits and there was an adult male on the bench, when i asked him to show me the male it turned out to be an albino. at this point i really lost it and called him every name i could.

shoutin

can i just point out that in an open show, for a fish to win best in show, it would have taken at least 3 class a judges to award this prize.

we are all guilty of making mistakes and i dont think for a minute that this mans intergrety should be questioned, he clearly believed what he saw was the fish in question, yes as it turns out it is not but as i said more than one person had to have judged the fish.

dunc
    Keymaster

QUOTE (shoutin @ Jun 8 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    we are all guilty of making mistakes and i dont think for a minute that this mans intergrety should be questioned, he clearly believed what he saw was the fish in question, yes as it turns out it is not but as i said more than one person had to have judged the fish.

We are all guilty of making mistakes indeed – but we’re not all judges for fish shows. It’s the same as being an art critic – if you don’t know about art, but are happy to utilise your “knowledge” in such an environment, you’re bringing it upon yourself when you get it wrong.

If it’s a one off, fine – but if it has happened more than once or you’re willing to go to the lengths Mick mentioned, i.e. arguments where you won’t back down, you really do have it coming – imo

mickthefish
    Participant

if the showman had put the wrong name on his tank the judge has an arsenal of books that he’s required to bring with him to the shows, the then said judge should put a sticker on the tank saying please see judge.
    as for this fish getting B in S the other judges cannot do anything about the decision the judge had made in the Cichlid class.
    over the years i’ve seen some right booboos made by judges where there’s been close to punchups never mind arguments.

mick

shoutin

QUOTE (dunc @ Jun 8 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If it’s a one off, fine – but if it has happened more than once or you’re willing to go to the lengths Mick mentioned, i.e. arguments where you won’t back down, you really do have it coming – imo /rolleyes.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:rolleyes:” border=”0″ alt=”rolleyes.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

That’s two mistakes just from two of the seven posters involved with this thread.

paul
    Participant

QUOTE (tdcaquatic @ Jun 3 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes Mad Duff…thats exactly what happened here…the guy tried it on…put a name on the tank containing the said fish and the judge either couldnt be bothered or didnt know and just judged it to the name on the tank.,the latter is very scary!
    mind you its ok …it only won BEST IN SHOW….hehehe

paul
    Participant

QUOTE (tdcaquatic @ Jun 2 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    2nd pic is also another nice fish but either the judge doesnt know his fish or maybe chooses not to be bothered..as like the first fish its really hard not to believe that people who love fish and have seen a few fish about could get this wrong….This one was shown as a ANOSTOMUS TERNETZI…Even though to 99% of people in the room…its an ANOSTOMUS ANOSTOMUS…it has red fins and slightly deeper body depth and gets bigger….But it got judged to Ternetzi ! lol

Unfortunately this type of thing either stops people showing fish or makes people who show fish disillusioned as why bother if the judges in these cases cant be bothered to even open a baensch atlas or maybe choose not to.A lot of this used to go at the southern shows but its been eradicated thank god.Not being able to identify a RARE fish 100% is one thing but in these 2 cases there is no excuse.Nuff said.

Next 7 or 8 pics are of various fish we snapped at the show…..

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok today I received an email from Bede Kerrigan, the secretary of STAMPS and a personal friend, expressing the general ill-feeling of his club members at the way in which some of our members (myself included) have made remarks concerning an FBAS judge in this thread. As a result I have deleted the posts containing said judge’s name but I will leave the rest of the thread intact as I am of the opinion that one of the commonest cichlids in the hobby should be easy to identify for an experienced judge/team of judges, making some of the points contained here perfectly valid and worthy of discussion. I apologise on behalf of our members for any offence caused and in future will insist that personal comments do not feature in the forums.

Bede mate I will reply to your email once I have deleted the necessary.

Paul, welcome to the forums.

Matt
    Keymaster

I have a small adjustment to make; it has been brought to my attention that the judge in question is not certified by the FBAS as I stated above. Sorry about that peeps!

Edit: but he is qualified as an FNAS judge. Sorry again!

mickthefish
    Participant

before this goes any further i must say i’ve known the person for a good few years now and get along great with him and his wife, but it’s only when he dons his judges shirt that he comes under scrutiny.
    but the judges must realise that the fish on the bench is someones pride and joy and mistakes by the judges is both upsetting and annoying.

mick wright.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Having been in the position of actually being a judge I have seen it from both sides so to speak and when you turn up on the day of a show and get the classes you are judging you as an individual are open to scrutiny from everyone showing.

One of the first things to do is make sure all fish are labelled correctly, ok sometimes errors are made but when it is a fish that is so common in the hobby as in this case it brings the judges ability to spot things into question.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.