LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Salt And Plecos

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Salt And Plecos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Reva
    Participant

For years the old timers have said “a little addition of salt cures anything”. Lately I have read here and there that salt will kill Plecos. Is this true?

Matt
    Keymaster

Personally I never use salt as a treatment for anything but I imagine in very small doses that most Loricariids could survive. In higher concentrations I doubt it as the waters they come from are generally low in dissolved minerals. Hope someone can provide some more detailed info Reva.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Yes even small amounts of tonic salt can have a bad effect upon certain Plecos and close loricarin relatives.

Without wishing to play down their importance, and beauty, the ‘common’ Hypostomus and Gibbiceps species are usually fine with small amounts of aquarium/tonic salt in their tank(s).

Loricarins which show the most ‘resistance’ to all types of aquarium salts are Ancistrus. For this reason they have become popular for Rift Valley aquaria – although this is not the ideal residence for them.

The catfish which have the strangest relationship with salt are ‘Hoplosternum’. The fry are immune to salt and need brineshrimp in order to grow. In contrast adults (even though wild populations live close to the coast) will panic and ‘turn over’ if salt concentrations in their aquaria are hightened, e.g. when used to cure velvet, for any reason.

Regards David

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Feb 24 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey

Yes even small amounts of tonic salt can have a bad effect upon certain Plecos and close loricarin relatives.

Without wishing to play down their importance, and beauty, the ‘common’ Hypostomus and Gibbiceps species are usually fine with small amounts of aquarium/tonic salt in their tank(s).

Loricarins which show the most ‘resistance’ to all types of aquarium salts are Ancistrus. For this reason they have become popular for Rift Valley aquaria – although this is not the ideal residence for them.

The catfish which have the strangest relationship with salt are ‘Hoplosternum’. The fry are immune to salt and need brineshrimp in order to grow. In contrast adults (even though wild populations live close to the coast) will panic and ‘turn over’ if salt concentrations in their aquaria are hightened, e.g. when used to cure velvet, for any reason.

Regards David

Thanks David and Matt. I lost a clown pleco once after the addition of salt. I was considering purchasing some Celebes Rainbows, who like some salt, and was curious whether the salt was the reason that the pleco kicked the bucket. I have three plecos that I really like. None of them are Gibbiceps, but I have a hard time pinning down exactly what they are. They were sold as a Chocolate Pleco (deep golden color with red eyes, stopped growing at 6″), and a Marble Sailfin Pleco (looks similar to Gib except it has an enormous dorsal fin and distinct polka dots. Basic body color shifts between dark grey and wheat , depending on mood. stopped growing at 8″). Any guesses who these are? I have two of the marbles…a big one with the Parrots, and a baby with the tetras. chocolate lives with Rainbows

Matt
    Keymaster

Hey Reva the “chocolate pleco” sounds like a member of the Hypostomus cochliodon complex and the “marble sailfin” is maybe Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus (pic of Mike’s fish below)?

Attached files

Bluedave
    Participant

I wouldn’t use salt with plec’s or cory’s – I’ve found even a small amount will kill them. I think the same applys to loaches but not sure?

As for using salt as a treatment – i use salt baths for fish that have fungal infection (obviously not the fish mentioned above!) but I wouldn’t add it directly to the tank (I wouldn’t add any treatment directly to the tank anyway).

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Reva

In the U.K. the Chocolate, or Bruno, Plec. is one of several similar Cochilodon/Hypostomus species yet to be given proper scientific classification.

These are covered in pages 90 to 93 of the excellent ‘Back to Nature Guide to L-Catfishes’ by Ingo Seidel (ISBN 978-91-89258-11-2).

Sadly the clearing of logs, the Chocolate Plecs. depend on these as spawning hollows, to prevent damage to cattle is putting the future of these fish in the balance.

For the Aquatic Societies in Northern England I do a talk/lecture on starting with catfish. My friend, Kevin Webb, took a photograph of my Chocolate Plec. to go with this talk. If I can sort something will e-mail the photo. to Matt knowing that our friend will add this to the posting.

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

Whoops deleted your double post David.

David Marshall
    Participant

I am waiting for Kevin to phone me back as photo. is Kev’s copyright.

A double posting?

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah your second-to-last post appeared twice so I deleted the extra one.

David Marshall
    Participant

Thanks Matt

I will blame it on the excitement of having my first Neolamprologus lelupi fry.

Regards David

Reva
    Participant

Well the picture is beautiful and similar, but the color is darker and the dorsal fin not as high as mine. My chocolate plec is actually a golden honey color. When he was a 2″fry he was the color of milk chocolate, but he got more and more golden. I am having trouble accessing the knowledge base pictures. (my kitten walked on my keyboard and gave my apple a command..sigh). If you guys can post pics of guesses it would be nice. I will try to get some pictures of my fish. I think you’d like seeing them as my rainbows are really nice, and of course, you’d be able to tell me if my big parrot is a pink fire David /blush.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blush:” border=”0″ alt=”blush.gif” /> that was a long time ago /huh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:huh:” border=”0″ alt=”huh.gif” />

Wouldnt you like to have one of these? In searching for images that match mine, I saw this guy..wow

Matt
    Keymaster

Mmm, A. adonis; they get massive mind Reva. Here’s my old one.

Attached files

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Feb 26 2009, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Mmm, A. adonis; they get massive mind Reva. Here’s my old one. /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” /> He doesnt look very big next to that sword plant. How big did he get?

Reva
    Participant

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Feb 25 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks Matt

I will blame it on the excitement of having my first Neolamprologus lelupi fry.

Regards David

Congrats David!! I love those. Pop name Lemon Cichlid here. I have always wanted to try Lake T Cichlids, but have always been afraid they would kill each other and I’d cry

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.