LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sawbwa

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Congratulations!

Excellent video too!

Yes, the fry looks scary fragile…. I doubt they will survive in the tank with the parents… never saw this happening with mine and I have a lot of plants in the tank… the only way that works is to remove the eggs from the mop.

BigTom
    Participant

Thanks Mike. Might have to free up yet more tank space somewhere… how long did you find before fry were large enough to be housed with their parents?

oaken
    Participant

Cool video, Tom. And congrats. What are you filming with btw?

BigTom
    Participant

@oaken
    said:
    Cool video, Tom. And congrats. What are you filming with btw?

Cheers. Filming on a Panasonic GH2 with Olympus 35mm f3.5 macro. For the super macro stuff then I also add a Raynox 4x magnifier and use the ETC mode on the GH2 which only takes the center 1920×1280 pixels for an extra 2.6x mag… so gives up to 10.4x lifesize but with a maximum focal distance of less than a cm. 

Kinda tricky handheld and you’re limited to subjects that are sitting on the front glass!

mikev
    Participant

@BigTom said:

Thanks Mike. Might have to free up yet more tank space somewhere… how long did you find before fry were large enough to be housed with their parents?

2-3 months or so.

The fry can be raised in a 2.5g tank.

BigTom
    Participant

Well, so far so good… moved the parents out after the last update as they’d stopped spawning for the time being. Counted 5 or 6 fry after that, of which at least 4 are still alive (hard to spot!). One isn’t looking terribly well but the other 3 are getting fat on tank microfauna. Still too small for microworms.

http://vimeo.com/65005548

If these guys make it to a size where they’ll take microworms then I’ll move them to a breeding net and get the adults spawning again.

20 degrees, pH 8.4, 170ppm for the record.

BigTom
    Participant

Video now working :)

Plaamoo
    Participant

Sensational video Tom! Very cool watching them feed.

BigTom
    Participant

Thanks! Yeah you can see them eyeing up the adult cylcops thinking “one day, when you aren’t the same size as my entire head…” 

Matt
    Keymaster

That’s brilliant. 😎

mikev
    Participant

Yes, fantastic video indeed!

sorab

Thanks for the excellent video, must be difficult to do!

cheers

Peter

BigTom
    Participant

@sorab said:
    Thanks for the excellent video, must be difficult to do!

cheers

Peter

It’s not too tricky with the right equipment, the main issue is the extremely short focal distance, so you can only really film them at an acceptable resolution when they’re right next to the front of the tank.

BigTom
    Participant

Bugger. Just did the first water top up on fry tank 2 weeks after hatching – only about 10%, mix of dechlorinated tap water and water from the parent tank and they’ve all croaked it.

Rüdiger
    Participant

That really is a bugger! :-(

Any suspicion what could have been wrong with the water?

Cheers

R.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.