LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sawbwa

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

BigTom
    Participant

@Rüdiger said:
    That really is a bugger! :-(

Any suspicion what could have been wrong with the water?

Cheers

R.

Really don’t know Rudi. Edinburgh council do have a reputation for dumping quite large amounts of chloramine into the water on occasion, but I dose enough dechlor it should take care of that. Maybe dechlor overdose, or just really sensitive to changing parameters. 

Rüdiger
    Participant

@BigTom said:

…………. Maybe dechlor overdose, or just really sensitive to changing parameters. 

Yeah Tom, if I had to place a bet, it’d be on the latter. Perhaps a tank with an overflow and drip-top up would remedy that problem to a degree?

mikev
    Participant

sorry for this :(

IME they are pretty hardy and water changes (I tend to do 50% on fry tanks, always new water only) did not affect them.

BigTom
    Participant

Just realised I forgot to update this – after seeing all the fry drifting about lifelessly and assuming they were dead, I left the tank as it was for a few weeks. Went back to it and all of the little buggers were still there, hearty and hale. They’re now about 10mm long and nearly ready to go back in with the parents. 

Have been super easy to raise – just a couple of water top ups and haven’t even fed them, they’ve been living off the tank microfauna.

Just moved them into a shrimp tank yesterday to finish growing a bit while I try out my rosy loaches in the breeding tank.

BigTom
    Participant

I just lost one of my big male Sawbwa (old age), and took a quick measurement of the cadaver – standard length ~35mm, total length ~45mm. So considerably larger than the profile states, thought you might like to add a note about size in aquaria or something Matt?

Can upload a photo if you like.

mikev
    Participant

Yes, this seems to be about the size of my original group males (kept for 4 years now — what is the lifespan?)

BigTom
    Participant

@mikev said:
    Yes, this seems to be about the size of my original group males (kept for 4 years now — what is the lifespan?)

Not sure, I got mine already fully grown so no idea how old they were. That was only about 15 months ago though.

mikev
    Participant

Mine were full grown too… I got 12, lost half in the first 2 years, but the remaining 6 (now kept 4 years) seem fine and do not look aged.

BigTom
    Participant

@mikev said:
    Mine were full grown too… I got 12, lost half in the first 2 years, but the remaining 6 (now kept 4 years) seem fine and do not look aged.

Huh. I’d assumed it was old age, I’ve lost 4 the same way now over a period of about 9 months. They gradually lose their blue shine (males), get increasingly scruffy looking and a bit ‘senile’ (slow to identify food, stop dominance/courtship behaviours) over the course of a month or two, before finally dying. The others always look totally fine.

mikev
    Participant

I _think_ all of my losses were males … the initial group was mostly males, now it is 3m/3f. I am probably wrong but I thought the cause could have been stress.

Matt
    Keymaster

@BigTom
    said:
    I just lost one of my big male Sawbwa (old age), and took a quick measurement of the cadaver – standard length ~35mm, total length ~45mm. So considerably larger than the profile states, thought you might like to add a note about size in aquaria or something Matt?

Can upload a photo if you like.

Yes please Tom that would be great. Will make that addition now plus your egg pic from a while back.

BigTom
    Participant

The shrimp got to him before I did, so he’s not the most handsome of cadavers, but identifiable and complete, at least!

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7213/h8lh.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot Tom! Now added to the profile, and possibly the grimmest pic in the entire database. :D

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.