LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Schistura Beavani

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Schistura Beavani

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

This is the fish identified as such all over the internet but imo isn’t:

The reason I think so is because in the original description G√ľnther describes it thus: “Body with nine dark cross bands, broader than the interspaces between; a black streak across the root of the caudal. Dorsal and caudal rays with blackish spots.”

…plus Menon says: “About 9 vertical bands, broader than interspaces; a dark band at base of caudal fin, broad and conspicuous. A row of dark spots on dorsal, 2 < shaped bands in caudal." This fish of Mick’s, sold as S. scaturigina, looks like S. beavani to me, particularly since Vishwanath & Laisram describe the patterning of S. scaturigina as: “12 transverse triangular bars extending from lateral line downwards. Bars tend to break up anteriorly. Back and dorsolateral sides with irregular spots and bands. Black bar at base of caudal fin interrupted. Dorsal fin dusky, caudal fin with 2-3 irregular transverse dark bands”.

Any opinions?

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Dont the interspaces still look bigger

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm good point Andy.

Kajsa12
    Participant

Recently I bought some fish labeled Schistura scaturigina in Germany.
    For me it’s hard to tell if it’s a “real” S. scaturigina because of all the look-a-likes.
    I think I have two different species; A brownish, more stockier one and a more elongated greyish one.
    The brown Schistura’s are hiding in the substrate during the day, the greyish ones do not.

Some bad pics (shot with flash when the lights were off.

Kajsa12
    Participant

oops, double post.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Kajsa, nicely documented pics , its not easy when there are so many different fish that look similar in the group !

Matt
    Keymaster

Here are images sent to me by Andrew Rao a few weeks ago which show what he says are the ‘real’ S. beavani (top) and S. scaturigina (bottom).

Attached files

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.