LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sewellia fry

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice to see them making progress and the colour pattern development.

tyrano34

Beautiful, now gives us the parameters please

thank you

Hokum
    Participant

QUOTE (tyrano34 @ Jun 26 2011, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Beautiful, now gives us the parameters please

thank you

Err, Ph7.4 I’ve never done a hardness test, but from the lack of limescale on my kettle i’m guessing pretty soft… I only do the usual ammonia etc tests otherwise…

Hokum
    Participant

Err, I’m starting to get over run! I now have 5 fry! The first and biggest is now getting caught up by the second in size and I’ve noticed 3 more younger fry in the tank!

I took some photos yesterday i’ll try and upload them.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Hey Hokum,
    How are your fry progressing?
    I hope you don’t mind if I join your thread instead of starting another sewellia fry thread. I’ve had 3 s. lineolata for a few years now but never any fry. Previously there were 2 schistura savona (always FAT!) in the tank and now there is a very portly sicyopus since the schistura have passed on. I’ve always figured that these predators were cleaning up the fry.Last water change I decided to have a real good check of the bottom of the bucket with flashlight & magnifying glass. Sure enough, lots of tiny little larvae flitting around. These things are TINY! The larges might be 1/16th of an inch, I think that’s about a mil & a half? No wonder I’ve never seen them before. How many have I sent down the drain?? For now they’re living in a plastic container with an air hose, no heat.

Hokum
    Participant

Wow those really are small!

Our first fry is called lucky as I have a suspicion that the Garra may be thinning the herd… That was until today I now have 7+ fry!

This is the second largest fry, notice that the pattern is opening up.

This is one of the 5+ smaller fry.

This is the female spotted, I thought i’d add one of her so there is a reference.

Attached files

Plaamoo
    Participant

Are you sure she’s a sp. spotted? looks like one of my lineolata females.

Hokum
    Participant

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Jul 24 2011, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Are you sure she’s a sp. spotted? looks like one of my lineolata females.

I had assumed the females look like the males? I haven’t seen any pictures of female lineolata.

Plaamoo
    Participant

S. lineolata vary quite a bit from reticulated to spotted. The spots on the sp.spotted are smaller than the spotted variety lineolata and the fish are quite a bit larger.Compare the pics in the knowledge base here. IMO that’s an s. lineolata female. That would also explain your fry. See what others think??

Matt
    Keymaster

I’m with you Jim, looks like S. lineolata.

Menu
    Participant

Hi Hokum,

your jungsters and the female are definitely S. lineolata.

For comparison

S.lineolata female

S. sp. spotted female

Hokum
    Participant

Interesting, I’ve never seen such a spotted Lineolata. Hence my thought it was a spotty.

Hokum
    Participant

Just an update to say the fry are still going strong. One is almost an inch now.

Matt
    Keymaster

Good news.

Plaamoo
    Participant

My s. lineolata are at it again. Here’s a short clip of siphoning from a water change bucket. Don’t flush those water changes without a close look!

http://youtu.be/1mxdpU7LNK8

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.