LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Sewellia numbering yet again.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Sewellia numbering yet again.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

‘SEW03’ Charles? 

torso
    Participant

Yes, Matt for shure. About SEW 02 and 04 I still have my doubts. Looking at my SEW 04 pics I would say, that we have more than one species labelled as that. On SEW 02: I hope for more infos, when I’ve separated the specimen of the older shipment. SEW 03 for shure, but therea are diffferent patterns in there too.

Looking at the pics made of juveniles by Frank Matthis I had my first doubts too, Mike. Should pass one day to get new pics.

Cheers Charles

torso
    Participant

or take this one (scroll  down to Sewellia sp.)

http://board.raubsalmler.de/viewtopic.php?t=8825

olly
    Participant

Sewellia sp. – Giraffenflossensauger?

Looks like S.speciosa.

torso
    Participant

Yes, Olly. But Rico’s “Giraffenflossensauger” has not been accepted by the trade, as the name is already taken by Annamia normani. Finally fixed with Rico’s pics and the naming by Inog Seidel here

http://my-fish.org/raritaeten-neuimporte-im-fokus-107/

in 2015. The name has been on German lists for years.

Yes, it’s S. speciosa. In this case, the species is definitely far off a “giraffe”, as S. speciosa is a very compact species – as adult. And the pattern alone isn’t sufficient. A. normani fits better, as the are in fact moving a bit like giraffes.

One of my older pics, January 2010. I bought them as S. speciosa, they never had another name in the trade here.

Sewellia-speciosa-DSC_9972.jpg

What I tried to say: there have been pics of young and adult specimen around labelled as Sewellia sp. or S. elongata/breviventralis for a long time. Now it takes time, to tell them all apart. Seems to be a problem with SEW 02 too.

Cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

Great info Charles. If you can find time to check our profiles and attached pics with this in mind, it would be a great help. That said, colour pattern can be highly variable in many species, or are there other distinguishing factors here?

olly
    Participant

Sew04 (?), newcomers. Bright golden markings on the head and along the back.

Male, 5 sm TL

sew04_3.jpg

Female, 5 sm TL

sew04_2.jpg

Young sewellias, size 4+ sm. Think, males.

sew04.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice additions, Olly!

olly
    Participant

Thanks, Matt !

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.